Spooky S’mores cake is the perfect way to celebrate Halloween! Full of chocolate and marshmallow flavor, this cake is more delicious than scary!
This post is brought to you in partnership with Campfire® Marshmallows. I love partnering with brands that I use in my daily life, and the opportunity to share them with you makes this website possible. As always, all thoughts and opinions are a million percent my own.
Boo! I made you the spookiest, yummiest cake in the universe!
My family was literally breathing down my neck once I finished this cake. It was a little overwhelming. All of a sudden I was little miss popularity around here.
Actually, I’m always miss popularity in my house (aren’t moms ALWAYS? Geez, we can’t catch a break), but this cake had the whole gang particularly obsessed with me. Way more than usual. I finally had to make them all leave the room so I could photograph the darn thing for the love of Pete. And also I had to tell Lucy to go brush her teeth because she had Goldfish breath.
(the crackers, not the actual fish, although I put nothing past that girl. she’s a rare breed, that’s for darn sure)
So let’s break down what we’ve got going here.
Layers of dense, fudgy, homemade chocolate cake sandwiched between fluffy marshmallow frosting and rich chocolate buttercream. The outside of the cake is coated in graham cracker crumbs and marshmallow sauce (yum).
I topped this cake with Campfire® Ghoaster Roasters that I dipped in chocolate coating and sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs. Not only do these adorable marshmallows taste great on their own, but they’re the perfect addition to any Halloween cake!
Wouldn’t these Ghoster Roasters be so fun to use for fall s’mores? Today’s high is in the 80’s, so I have a feeling that we will still be making evening s’mores for quite some time here in Arkansas! We always have a variety of Campfire® marshmallows on hand for impromptu s’more roasts or a batch of cereal treats to pack in lunch boxes. Their holiday marshmallows are always my favorite (Lucy loves them just for snacking)!
Campfire is currently hosting a Malloween Recipe Contest and YOU can enter! The winner will receive a Kitchen Aid Baking Essentials Bundle valued at $750! Campfire® Marshmallows are SO easy to incorporate into your Halloween recipes, there’s no reason NOT to enter!
You can find the rules and submit your recipe HERE.
Don’t forget to follow Campfire® on Facebook for adorable and fun treats (I contribute quite a few!) as well as yummy recipes, contests, and new product news!
Enjoy the recipe for this scary, delicious cake. It was a HUGE hit around here!
- 3/4 cup dark (Dutch process) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- Ghostly Smore Pop Garnish:
- 6 Campfire® Ghoster Roaster Marshmallows
- 6 lollipop sticks
- 4 oz chocolate almond bark, melted
- 2 Tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- Marshmallow frosting/sauce:
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- Chocolate frosting:
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark (Dutch process) cocoa powder
- 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 3 (8 inch) round cake pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat oil and both sugars on medium speed until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add milk and vanilla and beat on medium speed until smooth. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in dry ingredients. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then add sour cream, folding in until batter is smooth and combined.
- Divide batter among your pans and bake until tops spring back when lightly touched in the center, roughly 30 minutes or so. Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Make your garnishes: Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Dip marshmallows halfway into chocolate coating, shaking gently to shake off excess. Insert lollipop sticks into marshmallows and lay flat on wax paper. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
- Prepare marshmallow frosting/sauce: Place the sugar, egg whites, water, and cream of tartar in a large metal mixing bowl. Whisk together and place over a pot of simmering water. Whisk until the mixture is very warm to the touch and the sugar is dissolved -- do NOT boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Place bowl on your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, then increase to high and beat for about 10 minutes, or until it forms stiff peaks. Set aside one cup in a bowl and add light corn syrup. Stir together for your marshmallow sauce.
- Prepare chocolate frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, vanilla, and heavy cream on medium low speed until combined. With the mixer on low, add powdered sugar and cocoa powder, mixing until just barely combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat on high for one minute, until light and fluffy.
- Assemble cake: Trim cake layers to level. Place one layer on plate. Using a large sandwich bag with a corner cut off (or a piping bag), pipe fudge frosting around the top outer perimeter of the layer (forming a "dam" for the marshmallow filling. Fill with marshmallow filling, top with another layer of cake, and repeat. Once both layers are filled, top with remaining layer. Frost cake with fudge frosting. Gently press graham cracker crumbs into sides of the cake. Add ghost garnish, pressing them into the top of the cake. Using another piping bag or sandwich bag with a corner snipped off, pipe marshmallow sauce around top edge of cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.
I really hope you love this cake — it’s an absolute show stopper and SO fun!!
Have a great day!