This Peppermint Patty Cake is as cool and chocolatey as the candy it’s named after!
You guys, my toddler will not sleep.
I’m losing my mind. I just put her to bed at 7:15 because at this point, I figure if she’s NOT going to sleep, she can “not sleep” a bit earlier than usual for the sake of my sanity.
I honestly do not understand it. She has ALWAYS been this way, despite me doing ALL THE THINGS. I have read the books. I have studied up on advice from the experts. And I have concluded that none of them understand a 3 1/2 year old firecracker who makes it her life’s mission to stay awake at all costs, despite being ridiculously exhausted.
It’s like a never-ending battle of the wills.
On the off-chance that there are any husbands in the audience (are you there? all three of you?), please know that this is not one of those situations where I’d like you to troubleshoot. I simply want to complain while you nod sympathetically and offer me a drink.
If the question starts with, “Have you tried…??” I promise you that I have. And where we are at now, is a place where I am prepared to see this through for the next 14 1/2 years. Because I know with great certainty that Lucy will inevitably give birth to a child who also does not sleep, simply for the sake of being a jerk. And I also know that she will call me, bemoaning said child. And what I will do is listen and sympathetically (while being completely ingenuine, mind you) murmur, “Oh honey…I understand…YOU WERE EXACTLY THE SAME WAY.” Then I will get off the phone, sit down in my perfectly clean and quiet house, and prop up my feet with a glass of Rosé and an episode of Dr. Phil.
Not that I’ve rehearsed any of this, of course.
On the off-chance that you are also losing your mind (hay, crazy moms, haaayyyyy), I would love to offer you a slice of cake.
It’s chocolatey, it’s minty, it’s totally decadent and delicious, like a giant towering peppermint patty.
The only downside is that you have to make it yourself.
The upside? It’s worth every step. Do it do it!!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened, Dutch process cocoa powder (I used Hershey Special Dark)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 12 tablespoons salted butter, slightly softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, slightly softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint OIL, optional
- Prepare Cake: Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 2 eight or nine inch pans.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together until fully combined. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and peppermint extracts and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then slowly stir in the boiling water. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and bake for 30 -40 minutes, until tops of cakes spring back when you lightly touch in the center.
- Remove cakes from oven. Allow to cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then remove to finish cooling on wire racks.
- Prepare Frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, milk and peppermint extract on medium speed until smooth.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add powdered sugar, beating until just combined. Increase speed to medium high and beat for one minute, until light and fluffy. Assemble and frost cooled cake, then refrigerate for one hour.
- Prepare Ganache: In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and heavy cream, stopping to stir every 20 seconds until smooth. Stir in light corn syrup and let sit until thickened and cooled. Stir in peppermint oil. Pour ganache over the center of the cake, spreading to the very edges and allowing it to drip down the sides. Garnish cake with peppermint patties, if desired.
**cake portion adapted from Hershey
Enjoy, friends! Have a great day!