Fries Before Guys cupcakes are the perfect way to celebrate “Galentine’s Day!”
Is it weird that I enjoy Galentine’s more than Valentine’s?
Valentine’s Day is just too much pressure. Who even was given permission to invent such a day? Here we are just going along with our lives just fine and then someone decides to invent a fake holiday about love with a heavy does of expectation for good measure?
Um, no. Not cool.
The worst is when you’re in a new relationship and have to try to figure out how to navigate Valentine’s Day. Never start dating someone in January, I am just saying. It’s no good for anyone. Especially if all you really want for Valentine’s Day is to eat nachos in bed in your sweatpants while watchins reruns of COPS.
Some new relationships are just not ready for that kind of reality.
The thing I love about celebrating Valentine’s Day with my girlfriends is that it comes with no pressure, no expectations, and lots o’ wine. And also, cupcakes.
Nothing makes Valentine’s Day more perfect than spending time with the few people in the world who understand the importance of a friend who can rap the Spinderella parts of Salt-n-Pepa songs.
I’ve been dying to come up with some type of “Fries Before Guys” treat and I think these are absolutely perfect. You can whip up any type of cupcake as the base — homemade, cake mix, filled — OR buy frosted cupcakes and add the fries, “ketchup”, and toppers yourself.
Those little french fries are just pound cake, sliced into “fries” and broiled until browned on the edges. A pool of red frosting makes the “ketchup,” and these little toppers can be printed right from your own computer.
I mean, are these the cutest cupcakes you’ve ever seen, or what?
You can print as many toppers as you need right from here. I hope you love these as much as I do!!
- 24 cupcakes, baked and cooled
- Buttercream frosting:
- 3 sticks salted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 can vanilla or strawberry frosting
- red food coloring
- 1/2 of a frozen pound cake, thawed and sliced into "fries" with a serrated knife
- Prepare frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, heavy cream, and vanilla on medium-low speed until combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add powdered sugar, beating until just barely combined. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for one minute. Generously frost cooled cupcakes.
- Add red food coloring to canned frosting until desired shade is reached. Place frosting in a piping bag or resealable sandwich bag with a corner snipped off. Pipe a generous blob on the top of each cupcake.
- Turn your oven broiler on. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and cover with pound cake slices. Place in the oven just until browned on the edges -- it will happen quickly, so keep a close eye on them! Remove from oven and let cool. Press fries in to the top of each "ketchup" blob.
- Print toppers and cut them out with either scissors or a circle punch. Tape to popsicle sticks or lollipop sticks and insert into cupcakes.
Happy Galentine’s Day, cuties!!