Do we need to talk about the “diet” dessert thing?
I am not a “diet” dessert person. I’m a firm believer that the words “diet”, “guilt-free”, or “skinny” ruin any dessert.
Applesauce instead of butter? Splenda instead of sugar?
No. Thank. You.
If I am dieting (which, if we are being honest, is not as often as it should be), I don’t do diet dessert. I’ll skimp on calories all day to allow for real cake or brownies or ice cream in the evening.
It’s not the healthiest way, but it’s how I do things. I write a dessert blog, DO NOT JUDGE ME.
(also, people who say not to eat after 7 pm are from the devil. That’s when all the good eating happens!! I love you Oprah, but I’m looking at you)
This cake does fall under the “diet” dessert category. HOWEVER — you could easily leave the “diet” part off because it’s amazing.
You get the point. I do not eat this cake for diet purposes, I eat it for taste and ease of preparation purposes. But it DOES fall into the fat free, low calorie category, so there you go. Happy coincidence.
Two ingredients, unless you choose to top it with Cool Whip Free or shredded coconut, in which case it’s 3 or 4 ingredients. I know that some of you feel that Cool Whip is made from Satan’s toenails or something, but I find it perfectly delightful. And Cool Whip Free is great if you’re wanting to keep the calorie count down.
I can sense the skepticism from some of you, but I am telling you to reserve judgement until you’ve made the darn cake. If you don’t like it, I’ll refund your ingredient money!!
(not really. I will not do that. I’ll probably delete your email and go drink wine, but I’d be happy to send an IOU)
- 16 oz box Angel Food cake mix
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple
- Cool Whip Free (optional)
- Shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan thoroughly.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat cake mix and can of crushed pineapple (juice and all) on medium speed for one minute. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffy and dark golden brown all over the top.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving.
This cake is also awesome for lunches — just cut a piece and wrap it up. It can easily be eaten with hands!!
Enjoy and have a very happy Tuesday!!