These bright, Summery, Creamsicle Brownies taste like your favorite ice cream pop in bar form! Creamy vanilla and zesty orange meet dense, chewy bar for the perfect Summer snack.
Is anyone else completely terrified about this Summer? Seriously, what do you do with kids all Summer?
I looked on Pinterest for some ideas and I decided that at least 78% of that stuff is lies. Somewhere, there is a boy playing nonstop Minecraft and stuffing his face with Cheetos while his mom creates fake activities for him so she can document them on the internet.
That happens, right? You know it does.
Jon David actually wants to do Art Camp this Summer, which I got kind of excited about when he first told me. But then I looked at the flyer and saw that it’s from 11:30 – 1, every day for a week.
What kind of camp is that, that’s what I’d like to know. One and a half hours a day isn’t called camp, it’s called being annoying. It’s called load the toddler in the carseat, fasten all the buckles, drive to camp, drop off your kid, come home, unbuckle all carseat buckles, unload your toddler, feel like you blink, then do it all over. Also, it’s right at naptime, whose idea was THAT? So on top of all the buckling/unbuckling, I’ll be keeping Lucy up past naptime for a week. Unfortunately, I got so excited when he asked to go to camp that I said yes without getting details. Doesn’t “camp” usually insinuate like all day? Since when is “camp” an hour and a half?
People are using that word to willy nilly, if you ask me. Dangerous territory. Downright unacceptable.
One thing about Summer is that sometimes people crave things that aren’t chocolate. I don’t understand it, and I honestly suspect that the Devil is work in those situations, but what do you do. But I do love Creamsicle in the Summer, I’ll admit it. Something about Summery orange and creamy vanilla is perfect and reminds me of those popsicles and push pops when I was a kid.
I decided to create Creamsicle Brownies, but not brownies in the chocolate sense. I mean brownies in the sense that they are dense, chewy, and sturdy — and these fit the bill PERFECTLY!! The orange vanilla flavor is absolutely spot on, and I love keeping these bars in the fridge. Something about them being cold just makes them taste better!
They’re incredibly easy to whip up, and your kiddos will love them!!
- 1 box (18.25 oz) Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray bottom only of an 8x8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, and oil until a dough forms. Mix in the chocolate chips and press the dough evenly into the bottom of your pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or so -- until the edges are barely golden and the bars are puffy and firm on top. Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Prepare frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, and extracts on medium speed until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar, beating on low until combined. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for one minute. Spread frosting evenly over bars in pan.
These bars are one of my new favorites — they’re absolutely perfect!