These Bomb Pop Cupcakes recreate the flavor of an ice cream truck fave, the Bomb Pop! The lemon/lime cupcakes are infused with raspberry and topped with layers of blue raspberry, lime, and cherry butter cream! These are the perfect patriotic dessert to take to any Memorial Day, 4th of July or summer party! Can’t wait for you to try them!
Bomb Pop Cupcakes – A Treat Based on My Ice Cream Truck Fave!
When I was a kid, we lived for the ice cream truck. My friends and I would hang around outside all day on pins and needles, just hoping for the chance to pay way too much for a popsicle. The days the ice cream truck came through were the best. I usually chose the Bomb Pop. It looked cool, plus it had three different flavors. The white lime layer was my favorite.
So when I was trying to come up with the perfect cupcake flavor that said summer to me, I knew I had to go with my childhood favorite, and created these Bomb Pop Cupcakes! And guess what? I love it!
Bomb Pop Cupcakes Are the Perfect Patriotic Dessert!
These fun red, white and blue cupcakes are the PERFECT dessert to bring to a Memorial Day or 4th of July party. The amazing flavor, plus the piles of red, white and blue frosting on top, are guaranteed to impress your family and friends at your next summer barbecue. These would be so fun to snack on while watching fireworks or swimming in the pool!
How to Assemble Bomb Pop Cupcakes
- I started with my favorite cake mix recipe. I really love using cake mix and doctoring it up to make it extra special. I added lime juice and sour cream to give the cake that sweet and sour lime flavor.
- Go the extra mile and find cute patriotic cupcake liners! I love THESE and THESE!
- Make a basic buttercream and remove two-thirds of it. Split that into two small bowls. In your first small bowl, add cherry kool-aid powder and red gel food coloring. In your second small bowl, add lime juice. In your large mixing bowl, add blue raspberry kool-aid powder and blue gel food coloring. It’s always good to start with too little food coloring and work your way slowly up to the color you want!
- Once your cupcakes are completely cooled, use a star tip to pipe a layer of blue frosting onto the cupcakes, followed by the lime frosting and then the red frosting.
- I used popsicle sticks to add decoration. Star shaped sprinkles would also be cute and super patriotic!
I hope that these cupcakes bring you many happy Summer memories! Enjoy!
Looking For More Patriotic Desserts? Try these!
- Red, White and Blue Whoopie Pies
- Red, White and Blue Tie Dye Cookies
- Red. White and Blue Coleslaw
- Red, White and Blue Ambrosia Salad
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 small box instant lemon pudding, (3.4 ounces)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry kool-aid powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon blue raspberry lemonade kool aid powder
- 3/4 teaspoon lime juice
- blue gel food coloring
- red gel food coloring
- wooden popsicle sticks for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, lime juice, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix on low speed with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds or until well combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and increase mixer speed to medium. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter and bake for about 15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and heavy cream on low speed until barely combined. Increase to medium speed and mix until well blended. Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Remove 2/3 of the frosting from your mixer. Split the frosting that you removed in half and place in two bowls.
- Add the cherry kool-aid and desired amount of red color to one of the small bowls. In the other small bowl, stir in the lime juice. In the large bowl of frosting, add the blue raspberry kool-aid powder and desired amount of blue color.
- Pipe the blue raspberry frosting on the cupcakes, followed by the lime and cherry frosting. Insert a popsicle stick in the middle of the cupcakes and serve.