BJ’s Protein Cookies are packed full of protein and low on sugar! Perfect for a midafternoon pick me up or breakfast on the go.
I SWEAR THESE ARE GOOD!
I’m the first to run away from any kind of treat that’s loaded with protein. Protein candy, protein cookies, protein bars…they taste good for about half a second and then my mouth feels like it’s filled with sawdust and sadness.
Why. Why does life have to be like this? A series of protein-filled disappointments.
Most of you probably know that I love my gym. I’ve spent at least 6 hours a week there for the past 10 months, which is a lot considering that I used to almost never leave home. I’m pretty sure my neighbors think I joined a cult or something, which if we are being honest, a gym and a cult sometimes have things in common. However, there are no E-Meter’s involved, so it’s most likely a harmless cult with a lot of muscles and protein but no human sacrifice or forced manual labor.
One of my favorite gym friends, BJ (giver of simple wisdom and always willing to spot me or help me when I don’t know how to do a particular lift), recently mentioned that he wished there was a good oatmeal cookie with protein in it. “CHALLENGE ACCEPTED,” I said. “CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.” And then I went home and thought, “oh crap. I don’t really know if this will work.”
That’s the problem with being the kind of girl who accepts challenges before thinking. Sometimes you end up looking like an idiot. An idiot with great hair and makeup, but an idiot nonetheless.
LUCKILY, I was not an idiot this go around. These cookies were not only a HUGE hit at my gym, but my kids LOVED them, which is really saying something. Low in sugar, full of protein and clean carbs (oats and whole wheat flour…whatttt), you can totally feel good about these bad boys. Is there a bit of butter in them? Sure. A little sugar? You bet. But I generally feel that it’s better to go with a bit of real butter and sugar than a whole lot of fake stuff.
The texture of these cookies is a bit heavier than your typical cookie, and they aren’t sickening sweet, but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Try them and report back!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (I love JIF or Skippy All-Natural No-Stir)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 scoops whey protein powder (vanilla flavor)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- In a measuring glass, whisk together milk and protein powder (mixture will be thick). Add to your mixer, along with the egg and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and both kinds of oats. Add to the mixer and beat on low until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop out the dough into even portions. Roll into balls and place on prepared baking sheets, flattening slightly with your hand. Cookies should be about 2 inches apart -- they won't spread much.
- Bake for 7 minutes, until bottoms are just barely golden. Let cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Enjoy and have a great day!