This Instant Chai Mix will warm you right up! Free Printable Gift Tags make this perfect for gifting!
I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m not a coffee drinker.
This might not sound like a big deal, but it kind of is. Because almost every adult drinks coffee. It’s a whole big thing. People meet for coffee. They go spend lots of money in fancy coffee shops. They say things like, “don’t talk to me before I’ve had my coffee” or “does the hotel room come with a coffeemaker?”
Have you ever shared a hotel room WITHOUT a coffeemaker with a coffee drinker? Well. Mornings are fun, I’ll tell you that much.
But one thing I HAVE discovered, is that I love tea.
Obviously tea doesn’t have as much caffeine as coffee. For that reason, I kind of feel like coffee drinkers look at us tea drinkers as wimps. They’re all hardcore over there with their caffeinated motor oil and here I am sipping leaf water.
I get it, okay? I do. But I do dream of a day where tea and coffee drinkers are considered worthy of equal respect. Until that day, I’ll be whispering my Starbucks order (Oprah Chai latte, please) over all the scary sounding yells for Venti Lattes. Not being judgmental, but you coffee people are kind of a rowdy bunch.
I’ve discovered that I really do love Chai Tea. It’s creamy, it’s caffeinated, and the cinnamon spiciness is super comforting. I’ve bought several different brands of Chai mix and have never been super thrilled with it, so I decided to make it myself.
And, it’s amazing. So sweet, creamy, and spicy. It also makes a WONDERFUL gift (I love food gifts that can sit around until the person is ready to use it), so I’m including FREE printable tags! Aren’t they lovely?
I packaged my tea up in pint jars, which is enough for 5 -8 cups of tea. Smaller jars will yield just a few cups. This whole recipe fills 4 (1 pint) jars, so plan accordingly. It’s super simple to double or even triple this recipe!
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup powdered non-dairy creamer (plain)
- 1 1/2 cup French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 2/3 cups unsweetened instant tea
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer, sugar and instant tea. Stir in the spices. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.
- To prepare, stir 2 heaping tablespoons Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water.
I like mine spicy! If you don't, decrease the pepper to 1/4 teaspoon or leave it out all together.
**adapted from Allrecipes
This is the perfect gift for any tea lover — just tuck in a jar of this mix along with a cute mug and a spoon :)