These adorable unicorn donuts are the perfect magical breakfast. Make a batch for the unicorn-obsessed person in your life!
Our old friend Autumn is upon us.
I know this because all the women are Pumpkin Spice Latte-ing it up like their UGG boot cards will be revoked if they don’t. And while I love a good pumpkin treat as much as anyone else, I just can’t board the Pumpkin Spice Latte Express. Mostly because coffee gives me diarrhea, but also because I want to know more about this Pumpkin “Spice” I keep hearing so much about. Because last I checked, PUMPKIN WASN’T EVEN SPICY. Like…AT ALL.
So I think that it’s time to ask ourselves a couple questions.
- Is it possible that we are all being conned? Have you SEEN the inside of a pumpkin lately? It’s just stringy glop that smells like cat throw-up.
- Is it possible that this magical and squeal-inducing “pumpkin spice” is actually just… cinnamon? I am just saying that I know what cinnamon tastes like. I have decades of cinnamon tasting under my belt. And our friend “pumpkin spice” tastes pretty darn similar. And I’ll leave it at that.
In the spirit of authenticity (I mean, how can one survive the 2010’s without walking the path to their most “true” life?), I say we shove that pumpkin spice BS to the curb. Pink confetti Unicorn Donuts are the new fall food, because we get to decide and also I’m just asking nicely because we are friends and friends support each other’s hopes and dreams.
Don’t ruin this for me, you guys.
DONUT RUIN THIS FOR ME. Get it? *dies*
Listen Lindas — you can do it. Just bust out your very best Brunch sweatshirt (the cute one that kinda hangs off of one shoulder and says something witty about mimosas), call up the squad, and get to baking. All you need is cake mix, a donut pan, and a bunch of other stuff, actually.
But whatever. It’ll be worth it for the cute Instagram picture when you’re finished.
OMG YOU’RE GONNA GET SO MANY LIKES.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Food coloring
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Food coloring
- Ears/Unicorn Horns:
- Airheads candy (Just a few)
- Gold Color Mist Spray (can usually be found with cake supplies)
- Assorted sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray donut pan thoroughly with nonstick vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix cake mix, egg, oil, and water until combined. Add pink food coloring and desired amount of sprinkles (a few heaping Tablespoons is fine). Pour batter into a large piping bag OR a large freezer bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe into prepared donut pan, filling each mold about halfway.
- Bake for roughly 10 minutes, until tops spring back when touched in the center. Let donuts cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then carefully remove to wire rack to cool completely. Once they've come to room temperature, pop donuts in the freezer for about 30 minutes so they are sturdy when you glaze them -- the glaze is thick and you don't want them falling apart!
- Prepare glaze: In a small bowl, whisk all glaze ingredients together until smooth. Dip top half of each donut into the glaze and place on wax paper until glaze is firm to the touch.
- Prepare frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, vanilla, and heavy cream on medium speed until combined. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add powdered sugar until just barely mixed. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for one minute. Set aside about 1/4 cup and color black (for the unicorn eyes). Add desired food color to remaining frosting for the "mane." (to achieve this shade of aqua, I used a combination of teal and avocado gel colors)
- Pipe "mane" using a star tip, then add a variety of fun sprinkles. Pipe eyes using the black frosting and a very small (#2 or #3) round piping tip.
- Use scissors to cut ears out of the Airheads candy. To make the "horns," cut small strips of candy and then wrap them together and form them into a point. Spray with gold color mist spray.
- Insert "ears" and "horns" into the unicorn heads.
Enjoy, friends! Have a great day and thanks for reading!