Ever have one of those days that requires cookies in order to survive?
That has been my week.
The baby hasn’t been well — fever, fussy, the whole bit. Also, I am 99% certain that upon birth, someone implanted a microchip that alerts her the second her back hits a mattress. It’s actually a lot less awesome and Matrix-ey than it sounds, especially at 4 am, when I just changed her fiftieth diaper of the night, taking it into the hall where there is light so I can read it like tea leaves.
I swear, when I watch those mommy commercials where everyone wears white and the baby’s skin is suspiciously porcelain (my baby is broken out in some form of infant acne half the time), they don’t show the mom analyzing poop in her hallway at 4 am.
I like to think of myself as a chocolate chip cookie connoisseur.
(Basically, that’s just a fancy word for the fact that I eat them a lot, but I’m the boss of my life, and connoisseur is better than harfer downer, sooo…there’s that)
Being the cookie connoisseur that I am, I recognize the need for all types of chocolate chip cookies. I like the soft kind, the chewy kind, the mini kind, the giant kind, I am friend to all chocolate chip cookies and I do not discriminate.
But every now and again, only one type of chocolate chip cookie will do — the thin, buttery, crunchy on the edges chewy in the center sweet and salty chocolate chip cookie.
These cookies are chock full of chocolate chunks, Heath Bar Bits, and crushed pretzels, creating the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
I’m pretty sure you’re destined to make them. You don’t want to mess with destiny, do you?
- 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg plus one egg white
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 Heath Bar candy bars, chopped in to small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pretzel pieces
- 3/4 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly butter a large baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and egg white and vanilla, beating until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the flour mixture. Beat on low until combined, then fold in your chocolate, Heath Bars, and pretzels with a wooden spoon.
- Using a large cookie scoop (or two small scoopfuls if using a 1 inch cookie scoop) place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for about 13 minutes, or until edges are brown and centers are golden. Remove tray from oven and let cookies cool for about 2 minutes before removing to cooling rack with a spatula.
Makes about 2 dozen large cookies
Adapted from The Cookiepedia
Enjoy and have a happy Tuesday!!