This Strawberry Cream Cake is a perfectly simple Summer cake! A yellow cake is filled with creamy strawberry filling with a touch of almond.
So you know how I used to decorate cakes?
Well when I decorated cakes, I offered a couple of different filling options, one of them being Strawberry Cream.
Strawberry Cream was by far my most popular and requested filling. It’s really not anything crazy or complicated, but it takes a normal yellow cake and makes it seem pretty dang special.
My favorite was to fill a sheet cake, because no one expects a sheet cake to have filling in it. I’m normally more of a round cake kind of girl, but a 9×13 is so simple to frost, and if you add some filling, it suddenly seems like you did a ton of work.
I mean, I’m not here to advocate lying, but I don’t think there is anything wrong with occasionally creating illusions that exaggerate your talents in the kitchen.
I’m pretty sure I read in the Bible that that is okay.
This is also a great cake to let sit overnight in the fridge — cream based fillings like this are better with just a little time to mingle and soak up into your cake. So if you can let this sit for a few hours or overnight, go for it.
Or sneak a piece and fill the empty square in with whipped cream and no one has to know.
I’ve heard that people do that sometimes.
I used a yellow cake mix (gasp) here, because it’s really about the filling. If you want to go homemade with your yellow cake, go for it! Totally up to you.
Just make sure this filling is in your life at some point, because OMG.
- 1 9x13 yellow cake, baked and chilled in the refrigerator (for ease in splitting)
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 can (15 oz can) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- Place metal mixing bowl and mixer whisk attachment in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Remove from freezer and add whipping cream and powdered sugar. Beat on medium speed until it begins to thicken -- increase speed and beat on high until stiff whipped cream is formed.
- Set half of the whipped cream aside in a separate bowl.
- To half of the whipped cream, fold in the sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and almond extract. Fold in the sliced strawberries.
- Remove chilled cake from the fridge and split horizontally using a serrated knife. Spread strawberry filling on the cut side, then top with the other cake half, cut side down. Frost with remaining whipped cream.
This is the perfect Summer cake! Enjoy!!