Red Hot Sugar Cookies are the perfect treat for any cinnamon lover! They’re chewy and perfect, with a drizzle of cinnamon candy glaze on top.
January is my least favorite month in the history of life.
It’s like this weird limbo land, where I’m just wandering around in sweatpants, not sure of what to do with myself. On one hand, everyone is all “blah blah lose weight, blah blah get organized,” but I’m like…really? It’s zero degrees outside and I have nine bags of mini Snickers Bars in Christmas wrappers that aren’t going to eat themselves.
You people need to simmer down a little, is all I can say. Give us a few transition months before expecting us to wear pants with buttons and organize our paper piles and go exercise at gyms in front of skinny people with muscles.
Like maybe January can be the “lets be sad that Christmas is over and our lives are now directionless, so we are going to wear pants with elastic waists and eat our feelings every day” month?
I feel like this is a reasonable suggestion. And then maybe we can ramp up our fitness goals in April or so. I find that I perform best under a tight and frantic deadline, so giving me six months to get swimsuit ready is just setting me up for failure, anyways.
Right now the light at the end of my tunnel is Valentine’s Day. Sure, it’s a scam of a holiday, but it involves cute pink stickers and dessert, so I’m just going to get behind it and celebrate my face off. Plus, I have found that when I pretend to be super passionate about Valentine’s Day, I get a better gift from my husband. Which is probably really wrong of me, but I have never claimed to be perfect.
If you’re looking to set the tone around the house and let your significant other know that you’re serious about this whole Valentine’s Day thing, you can start with these cookies. Red Hots are one of my favorite candies, and baking them into chewy sugar cookies was absolutely the right decision. They provide a chewy crunch with lots of yummy cinnamon flavor. The cinnamon candy glaze on top just takes these to the next level.
These cookies are one of my new favorites. You won’t be disappointed!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup salted butter, (2 sticks), softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Red Hot Candies, broken into pieces (I place in a large ziplock bag and hit a few times with a mallet)
- Red sanding sugar (roughly 2 regular sized bottles)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 TBS warm water
- 3-4 drops cinnamon candy flavoring oil
- 1 drop red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium-large bowl, stir flour and baking soda together. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugars with your electric mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, and then vanilla extract. Reduce speed; gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined. Mix in Red Hot candy pieces.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop dough and place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Flatten cookies slightly, then sprinkle with red sanding sugar. Brush with a damp baking brush and sprinkle with red sanding sugar again. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until edges JUST begin to turn golden. Let cookies cool on sheet for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.
- Prepare glaze: In a medium sized bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, warm water, cinnamon candy oil, and red food coloring until smooth. Drizzle glaze on cooled cookies.
Enjoy, friends!! Have a great day!!