So last night, our baby monitor decided to stop working.
Of course, it was late at night and we were in our pajamas, which means that I don’t go anywhere. Honestly, once it’s dark, you’re not getting anything out of me. I say it’s because I don’t see well at night, but mostly it’s because I’m lazy and nighttime is when good TV is on and also it’s an acceptable hour to drink wine.
I was in a complete panic over this baby monitor being broken.
My husband…not so much. We live in a smallish house and Lucy’s room is directly across the hall.
He’s all, “it’s fine for one night, they didn’t have baby monitors in the olden days”.
And can I just say, that really isn’t my favorite phrase in the world.
What do the olden days even have to do with ANYTHING? People are ALWAYS saying stuff about the olden days and I’m like, “I’m sorry, I had trouble taking you seriously because you were scrolling through FACEBOOK ON YOUR iPHONE while you were talking”.
Can we all agree that the olden days are behind us, things like video games and baby monitors exist now, and we can’t pretend they don’t.
All night long I kept waking up listening for the baby, worried that I wouldn’t hear her crying. You’d think you’d hear BETTER when you can’t hear a baby crying, but it’s worse. I know it doesn’t make sense, it’s like baby algebra or something, I swear.
Then today I went to Target to buy a baby monitor, and got all the way home with Australian Soft Licorice, sparkly bow hair clips for Lucy, and an US Weekly and realized that I didn’t buy THE BABY MONITOR.
By then it was dark, so what I am saying is, I am the worst mom ever and also I will not be sleeping tonight the end.
I don’t know if you have a Sonic where you live, but I’m going to tell you something.
Their French Fries are absolutely terrible. But their drinks are pretty amazing.
One of my favorites is the Peanut Butter Fudge Shake. It’s like all that is right with the world got blended up and poured in a styrofoam cup.
In honor of that shake, I whipped up this super simple cake — all you need is a box of Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix and a few other ingredients. If you have a favorite dark chocolate cake recipe (I love the Hershey Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe), you can totally use that instead – but sometimes, you just need something you can whip up quickly!!
Top with ice cream, whipped cream (or both), and PLENTY OF SPRINKLES!!
- 1 box Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake mix, plus eggs, oil and water called for on box
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup chocolate syrup (the kind you use for making milk or putting on ice cream)
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- whipped cream, ice cream, and sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions, adding the pudding to the batter before mixing. Pour in pan and bake until top springs back when lightly touched, about 20 minutes.
- Immediately upon removing cake from oven, combine peanut butter, chocolate syrup, and condensed milk in a large bowl. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the cake, about an inch apart. Slowly pour the peanut mixture over the warm cake, using the back of your spoon to help guide it into the holes. (sometimes you'll need to re-poke the holes or poke a few extras to get most of the liquid in)
- Cover the cake with foil and refrigerate at least several hours (but overnight is GREAT!!).
- Cut cake and top with whipped cream or ice cream before serving.
This cake is SO good!!
Enjoy and have a happy Tuesday!!