- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- Small bag of sliced almonds
- Egg wash (1 egg white beaten with 1 TBS water)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Cut in shortening and butter until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Add eggs and almond extract. Mix well.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Set 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass, brush surface with egg wash, and push several almond slices into the top of cookie.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until edges of cookies begin to brown slightly.