Today is special.
Today is my sweet husband’s birthday.
This is the sixth birthday that I have helped him to celebrate, and I always try really hard to make his birthday extra special.
He deserves it….he puts up with a lot.
So…in honor of him turning seventy-eight…(kidding….just kidding…) I would like to take some time to thank my honey for everything he does.
Thank you for loving me every day….even the days that my mascara runs and my hair falls flat and a huge zit decides to pop up right in the middle of my face.
Thank you for not looking at me strangely when I sit down on the couch with a blanket and six Fruit Roll Ups…then proceed to eat them one after the other while I watch television.
Thank you for not asking how it is that a thirty year old woman knows every single word of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song. And not minding when I sing it.
Thank you for understanding when I said I might die if I didn’t get a Kindle….and not wanting to risk it, buying me one.
Thank you for never complaining when I say I just want to stop and look in Claire’s for earrings “real quick”…even though you know that “real quick” is woman code for “not very quick at all”.
Most of all, thank you for just being you. For going to work every day and working super hard so I can be home with our son and do what I love. Bake, blog, decorate cakes, and play with my kid.
I LOVE YOU!!!
In honor of my husband’s birthday, I made his favorite German Chocolate Cupcakes….which really aren’t German Chocolate at all.
For the cupcakes, I used my go-to recipe from Hello Cupcake!. This recipe is for Perfect Cake-Mix Cupcakes and it produces sturdy cupcakes with a nice rounded top.
The frosting recipe is from The King Arthur Baker’s Companion. Using heavy cream and melted caramels, you will never go back to the canned stuff!!
- 1 box (18.25 oz) devil's food cake mix (you can also use French vanilla or yellow, I just used devil's food for this particular recipe).
- 1 cup buttermilk (in place of the water called for on the box)
- Vegetable oil (amount on the box)
- 4 large eggs (in place of the number called for on the box)
- 1 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
- 2 cups caramel, or 1 1/2 (14 oz) bags individual caramel candies, unwrapped
- 2 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Follow the box instructions, putting all the ingredients in a large bowl and using the buttermilk in place of the water specified (the box will call for more water than the amount of buttermilk that you are using), using the amount of vegetable oil that is called for, and adding the four eggs. Beat with an electric mixer until moistened, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to high and beat until thick, 2 minutes longer.
- Fill paper liners two thirds full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from baking pans, place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Heat the cream in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat until it simmers; add the caramel and stir until it melts. Bring the mixture to a boil and remove it from the heat. Stir in the pecans and the coconut.
- Heap huge portions of this onto chocolate cupcakes.
Make these and share them with someone you love!!!
Happy Birthday Babe!!!!