I don’t really know how this has happened, but over the course of the last few months, I’ve lost complete control over the television.
At first, I was super busy with the baby, (you know how they need things like ALLLL the TIMMMME) and I turned into one of those horrible people who sniffs, “I don’t have time for television” when people are discussing the last episode of Grey’s.
If we are being honest, the judgmental sniffing was only masking envy. Hello, an hour of uninterrupted TV time?? Heaven.
Anyways. Baby girl is finally on a decent schedule and I’ve come up for air.
And to my dismay — Man Shows. All night, every night.
Do you know that they make whole shows where people just FISH?
This can only be a precursor to Watching Paint Dry — Hardcore Reality. I mean, there is a time and a place for fishing, and it’s NOT on my big screen when I’ve sat down with a giant glass of cheap wine.
How about we discover something called television that is awesome?? ABC Family runs Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants on nonstop loop. THAT is something I can get behind.
Also, Gilmore Girls repeats?
Never a bad idea.
To celebrate me taking back control of the television (ain’t nobody got time for Swamp People), I made a whole cake that tastes like my favorite thing — TWINKIES!!!!
Most of you know that my recipes vary. Sometimes I go homemade, sometimes I go box style, and this go around, it’s cake mix and pudding for the win.
The way I see it, regular Twinkies are full of chemicals. It’s what makes them taste so great. Why would I leave them out now??
If you like Twinkies — make the cake. It’s seriously FABULOUS and as close to a giant Twinkie as you’ll ever get.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 5.1 oz box instant vanilla pudding (the large box)
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick salted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 stick salted butter, slightly softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 7 oz jar marshmallow creme
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 2 (8 inch) round cake pans and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine eggs and butter. Add water, pudding mix, and cake mix and beat on medium for about a minute, until batter is smooth and thick. Spread evenly in prepared pans and bake for about 20 -25 mins or until tops spring back when lightly touched, or a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cakes for a few minutes in the pans, then turn out on to wire racks to finish cooling.
- For frosting/filling: Beat butter and vanilla in your mixer until combined. Add marshmallow cream and beat until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar until just combined. Add heavy cream, Increase speed to high, and beat for one minute, until light, smooth and fluffy. Spread on cake layers and serve.
Cake batter portion of recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
I love this cake and I really hope you do too!!
Enjoy and have a great Monday!!