Fans of the old fashioned Cherry Mash candy will LOVE these Cherry Mash Brownies. Fudgy, homemade brownies are topped with soft maraschino cherry candy, chopped peanuts, and a smooth layer of milk chocolate. These brownies have to be tried to be believed!!
First off, brownies are pretty much my favorite subject to talk about. Besides my kids, but for some reason, people don’t seem to be as interested in my kids as I am. Which I guess is for the best, because that might be creepy.
Brownies are something EVERYONE can get excited about, though. Unless you’re vegan or one of those deals where you don’t eat sugar or flour. In that case, we will still be friends, but there will always be a weird unspoken thing between us that prevents us from ever really being close.
I’m sorry, but if you live a butter and sugarless life, I have to put up a wall for my own emotional well-being.
Also, if you are one of those people who says, “wow, this is rich, isn’t it?” after taking a bite, these brownies are probably not for you.
And you need to know, that’s like the rudest dessert thing to say ever.
It’s so ambiguous. Does that mean it’s bad? Do you not like it? Do you like it but only want a tiny piece? Are you going to throw the rest of your piece away? Can I have the rest of yours?
ALL THE QUESTIONS.
I don’t know if you’ve ever seen the old fashioned Cherry Mash candy, but I’ve been thinking it needs to be a brownie for awhile.
They sell them at Cracker Barrel (always Cracker Barrel. I am obsessed with their candy selection) and they mock me from afar. But Cracker Barrel sells candy for like triple the street value (I think they must sprinkle it with gold) so I don’t buy it.
Cherry mash candy is soft maraschino cherry candy coated in chopped peanuts and covered in chocolate. So these brownies are…brownies topped with soft maraschino cherry candy (did you think that was frosting? NOPE!), chopped roasted peanuts, and chocolate.
Make these, for the love of Pete. The cherry candy layer is SO GOOD, the peanut add a nice crunch, and the chocolate…well, duh.
- 1 stick salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup flour
- Soft Cherry Candy:
- 12 maraschino cherries, chopped
- 4 TBS cherry juice from the jar
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) salted butter, melted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 can (of a 14 oz can) sweetened condensed milk
- Chocolate topping:
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, (I used lightly salted) chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8 square pan with foil and spray thoroughly with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and melted butter until smooth. Whisk in sugar. Stir in eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Stir in flour just until no streaks remain. Spread batter in prepared pan and bake for 20 (ish) minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with NO raw batter. Let brownies cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- Prepare cherry candy: In the bowl of a mixer beat chopped cherries, cherry juice, melted butter, powdered sugar and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies and immediately sprinkle chopped peanuts over the surface, lightly pressing so they stick.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and shortening, stopping every 20 seconds to stir until smooth. Pour over brownies, then spread to cover. Refrigerate until firm.
Have a fabulous day!!