Yogurt is easily one of my favorite snacks.
Lately, Greek yogurt has increased in popularity, and with good reason — it’s thick, creamy, and has a distinct tang missing from most plain yogurts. FAGE (pronounced Fa-Yeh) Total is by far my favorite.
There are lots of varieties, and you can buy small, medium, OR large sized containers. It’s always available too, even in my small-ish city. Now, normally when I think about yogurt, I think about fruit and granola. The fact that it is ALSO an ingredient is something that has been lost on me for a long time, although lately I hear more and more about it being a healthy substitute for sour cream, cream, and even mayonnaise.
(For the record, I have made chicken salad with FAGE Total in the past…and it was completely delicious)
When I was challenged to come up with a recipe using FAGE Total 0% Plain Greek Yogurt, I was a little nervous. As most of you know, I love to bake sweets that are simple and non-dietey.
Dietey is my technical term for desserts that don’t taste like dessert because all the good stuff is missing. I mean honestly, what’s the point? I’d rather have a carrot over a cupcake that tastes like health food. At least with a carrot you know what you’re getting. But health food disguised as dessert? That’s just dirty trickery. So I decided that going forward with using FAGE Total 0%, I was going to find a fun, simple and YUMMY recipe that was no different than anything I’d normally make — with the exception of substituting some of the fattier ingredients with low calorie, all-natural, high protein FAGE Total.
If we’re being honest, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m not big on substituting ingredients, especially with something that is good for you. However, these are completely delicious. The cupcakes are full of flavor and the frosting…
..is creamy, tangy, and delicious.
Perfect for those of you who aren’t crazy about heavy, greasy frosting, but yummy enough to please any frosting lover in your life.
About three/twenty-ish spoonfuls later, I can confirm that with some certainty.
Using FAGE Total 0% in your baked goods can be as simple as replacing the sour cream or oil. Your little ones will never know the difference, but you can feel good knowing you made a healthy change to their favorite treat!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup FAGE Total 0% Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 Tablespoons butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup FAGE Total 0% Greek Yogurt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, FAGE Total 0%, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Beat on low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and increase speed to medium. Beat for two minutes.
- Fill muffin tins about half full with batter.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and FAGE Total 0% on medium speed until smooth and combined. Change mixer speed to low, slowly adding powdered sugar until completely mixed in. Add lemon extract and increase speed to medium high. Beat for about a minute, until light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and enjoy!!
Now that I’ve shown you how EASY it is to use FAGE Total Plain Greek Yogurt in a recipe, I’m going to tell you how to use it to win a super fun prize!!
Visit The FAGE Total Plain Kitchen and enter your favorite FAGE Total recipe by 10/9/12. Your recipe just might be served on the FAGE Total Plain Kitchen Menu by Bobby Flay (that cutie) and THREE lucky winners will receive an all expense paid trip to NYC to visit the FAGE Total Plain Kitchen Grand Opening Event.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Legal residents of the 50 United States (D.C.), 21 years or older who did not purchase any equipment for the purposes of entering this contest. Enter Contest by: 10/9/12 at 12:00 p.m. ET. To enter and for Official Rules, including prize descriptions, visit www.fageusa.com/plainkitchen. Void where prohibited.
So hurry and whip up something yummy, then enter to win. What have you got to lose? I really hope you enjoy the cupcakes as much as I did. Good luck!