This Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll cake is a fun Fall twist on our favorite Honeybun Cake!
Can we all agree that whoever decided that cake for breakfast should be a thing deserves a place in the history books?
We don’t reward dessert people often enough, if you ask me. Why does jerky Christopher Columbus get his own holiday but not the inventor of coffeecake? Something just seems out of whack about this whole situation.
I mean, Valentines Day got invented. What about Ice Cream Inventor Day? Why isn’t THAT a thing? This is why life is confusing. Because the people who decide important things make bad decisions and all of us normal people suffer for it. So instead of a day where we all eat big fat ice creams, we get to spend too much money on cards and single people feel left out and my son wonders why I didn’t spend $50 sending him a balloon and candy bouquet like the other kids got.
Gah. Just put me in charge. I’ll get us all sorted out.
First on the agenda is this cake. Oh sweet glorious caramel and apple and cinnamon cake.
You can eat this for breakfast because it’s a cinnamon roll cake and cinnamon rolls are acceptable breakfast. I don’t know who decided this, but they actually got things right for once. Good grief, put that person in office.
This is actually a twist on my husband’s favorite Honeybun Cake. I love apples and Fall food so much, I had to incorporate it into this recipe and it worked perfectly! The apples add great flavor and the caramel glaze is heaven, duh.
This cake is great as a breakfast or dessert — I’ve heard rumors that you can heat up a piece in the microwave and top it with vanilla ice cream and then you can hear angels singing. And I’m the one that started that rumor, so.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- Caramel Glaze:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- White Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and sour cream on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl, increase mixer speed to medium, and beat for two minutes until thick and smooth. Spoon 1/2 of batter in prepared pan and spread carefully to the edges.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add apples and toss to coat. Sprinkle apple/cinnamon mixture evenly over batter. Spoon remaining batter over apples and spread to edges.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until edges are browned and cake is set in the center. Remove from oven and prepare glaze.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add milk and brown sugar and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Pour glaze over cake and spread to edges.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and water. Drizzle over caramel glaze.
Honeybun Cake adapted from Allrecipes. Glaze adapted from Allrecipes.
Enjoy and have a fabulous day!