These Muddy Buddy (Puppy Chow) Pretzels are perfect for holiday snacking!
I really wish there was a Facebook filter that would hide all the weight loss and calorie information posts from my feed.
It’s depressing, honestly. If you can’t eat like a hog during the holidays, when CAN you? That’s all I want to know.
Fudge and cookies and chocolate covered Oreos exist for a reason, people. Fight it all you want, but they aren’t going anywhere. And I’m okay with that.
The worst is all the Facebook posts about soda. I mean, I don’t drink a whole lot of Coke…I don’t even buy it regularly. But for the love, I promise you…your video of a coke eating the rust off of a piece of metal will not deter me. It just won’t.
STOP TRYING TO CHANGE ME.
I absolutely love having sweet snacks around during the holidays. Those big tubs of caramel corn? Totally have my name on them. Don’t even get me started on peanut brittle and chocolate covered peanut butter crackers and holiday wrapped Hershey Kisses. There is just something about cold weather, a cozy house, and a lit up Christmas tree that makes me need to eat all the things in the universe.
I’ve made peace with it.
And no, Facebook friends, I do not need to know how many miles I have to run to work off that candy. Because A) I do not run and B) It will always be worth it. True story.
Are they a healthy snack? The short answer is no. But if you want the long answer, I can come up with an explanation that makes eating them by the pound completely justifiable. It’s a talent — you’re welcome friends of mine that need excuses to say yes to anything.
They ARE, however, SO dang yummy and addictive! If you’ve ever had Muddy Buddies (Puppy Chow) — you know how yummy Chex cereal is coated in chocolate and peanut butter and tossed in powdered sugar. But these are even BETTER!
I made these just like you’d make Muddy Buddies, subbing pretzels for the cereal. So simple and so perfect for holiday parties! These make a perfect food gift too — just tuck some in a cute tin or Mason jar for a special friend, neighbor, or teacher.
Everyone will love these sweet and salty treats!
- 9 cups snap pretzels (the square ones) -- I used a 16 oz bag
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Measure pretzels into a very large bowl. Set aside.
- In medium sized microwave safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute, then stir. Microwave again at 30 second intervals, stirring after each time. Once mixture is smooth, stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable plastic bag. If you only have one gallon bags (I usually do) divide mixture in half, using half the powdered sugar and reuse bag for second half.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Adapted from Chex
This crunchy, sweet and salty treat is so simple and so SO yummy! I think you’ll love it.
P.S. Wanna win an iPad Mini AND a Kitchen Aid Mixer? Be sure to pop over and get the details on the Creative Cookie Contest I’m hosting with Cookies and Cups! Entering is super easy and fun!!