Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies the perfect bar dessert — dense and chewy with a creamy cheesecake center.
It’s true. Now I know why there are so many naughty kids running around, all wild. It’s because no sane adult feels like punishing themselves.
Jon David had his iPod taken away all weekend, so he decided to spend all of his time perfecting his yoyo tricks. Which I’m sure sounds super old-fashioned-ey and cute, until you’ve heard the darn metal thing whizzing around for 10 hours straight.
It’s amazing the things that can get on your nerves once you become a grown up. When you’re a toddler, you can sit in your own pee and not even be phased, but then you get old and the sound of a yoyo or someone chewing funny can send you right over the edge.
Last night it finally got to the point where I had to just make Jon David put the darn yoyo away. And when he set it on the table in front of him I was like, “no, sir…you do not understand. I mean put it away where it can not be reached or seen for the rest of the evening”. Then of course he looked at me like I’m the meanest mom ever, but all I was thinking of is how much easier iPods make life.
Kids — please don’t get grounded. It’s the absolute worst for parents.
And of course, the yoyo wasn’t driving my husband crazy because he was born with the kinds of ears that only hear random things, like when you’re getting out the Little Debbies or when you’re flipping through the channels and someone says something about sports. For serious, our toddler can be throwing a tantrum at the foot of the couch and my husband will be unphased, but suddenly he’ll say “Hey can you turn back two channels? I just heard them say something about the tennis match that’s on later”.
WE DON’T EVEN WATCH TENNIS, THAT’S THE WORST PART.
It’s a fine line, friends. A very fine line.
These bars help. I’m a fan of eating my feelings.
These dense, chewy strawberry bars start with a cake mix and have the texture of a brownie. Add a layer of cheesecake in the center, and you have the perfect bar dessert.
These are so good and so incredibly simple!
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8 pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix, butter, and eggs until a thick batter forms. Spread HALF of the batter in prepared pan.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then beat in egg yolk and vanilla until combined. Pour cream cheese mixture over the batter in the prepared pan.
- Crumble remaining batter over cheesecake mixture, covering the surface of the bars as evenly as possible. Gently press with your hands to flatten, then place the pan in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges of bars are light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely in pan. Refrigerate until chilled, then remove foil from pan, peel from bars, and cut into squares and serve.
Such a pretty color and a fun change of pace from chocolate. Enjoy and have a great day!