These Melted Witch Cupcakes are a fun twist on one of my most popular Halloween treats!
I have reached the point in life where I don’t even feel comfortable taking my kids to the Halloween costume shops that pop up around town every year.
Stepping into one of those places is basically like walking onto the set of a scary porn movie. Busty nurses in stilettos, bloody corpses popping out of coffins, what even is this life?
Nothing like selling Doc McStuffins costumes mere feet away from a clothing-impaired police woman outfit. HANDCUFFS ARE FOR MAINTAINING LAW AND ORDER, MA’AM.
And when did Red Riding Hood become so sexy? Doesn’t she know that wolves like to eat skin? Honestly, I have so many questions for the person in charge of all of these stores. Like, “Can I tell you about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?” or “Do you dabble in adult entertainment when you aren’t selling Halloween stuff?” But I feel like I already know the answer to that question.
In light of this, I decided to make some cupcakes based on good old-fashioned scary witches. Not witches that wear thigh-high pantyhose with garters. Not witches that wear stilettos and push-up bras. Just your run of the mill black-hat-wart-nose-green-face witch. My favorite kind.
These are actually a spin on my most popular Halloween recipe on this site, Melted Witches, which are a no-bake candy treat. Since I love cupcakes so much, I thought it would be fun to do a cupcake version.
I think they turned out super cute!
These are simple to throw together, look super cute, and taste great. Chocolate cupcakes, buttercream frosting, chocolate ganache, and Oreo/Hershey Kiss hats. What’s not to love?
- 24 chocolate cupcakes, baked and cooled (I used a cake mix)
- Green buttercream frosting (recipe below)
- Chocolate ganache (recipe below)
- 24 Hershey Kisses, unwrapped
- 12 Oreo cookies, separated with the frosting scraped off
- Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 sticks salted butter, slightly softened
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- a few drops green and yellow food coloring
- Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tablespoons light corn syrup or honey
- Prepare frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, vanilla, and heavy cream on medium low speed until combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add powdered sugar and a few drops of yellow and green food coloring until just combined. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for one minute, until fluffy and smooth.
- Using tiny dabs of frosting, attach Hershey Kisses to Oreo halves to form witch hats. Set aside.
- Frost cupcakes generously and place in the refrigerator for about an hour, until frosting is slightly chilled.
- Prepare ganache: In a microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and cream, stopping every 20 seconds to stir until melted and smooth. Stir in corn syrup, then let cool and thicken just a bit. Spoon over cupcakes and let set for just a few minutes, then top with an Oreo witch hat.
Have a very happy Monday and thanks for reading!