It should be known that I have the worst airport luck in all of existence.
On more than one occasion, I have been that woman running through the airport.
I have also been the pregnant woman running through the airport.
And today, I was the woman running through the airport and pushing a stroller.
In case you were wondering, it is impossible to look cool while running with a stroller. And the whole time I was running, I was worried that people would think that the reason I was in a hurry was lack of preparation instead of the REAL cause, which was a delayed connecting flight. So while I was running, I was trying really hard to look organized and serene, which was super hard.
Also, running goes against everything I stand for, so the whole situation was highly stressful.
And while I was running and sweating and trying to look serene and organized, I passed a fudge shop, a donut place, and a Starbucks, and didn’t have time to stop at any of them. It’s almost like how I envision Hell, minus the weird shoe shine chairs.
(aside — Someone please tell the people that having your shoes shined at the airport just looks gross. This isn’t a Charles Dickens novel)
I made these tarts right before I left for Austin. I spotted the recipe in my Serendipity Cookbook and knew it needed to happen. I LOVE lemon flavored anything, and a cool pie like this is perfect for Summer.
This can be made as a large pie in a 9×13 pan, but I made 6 smaller tarts because they are cuter, duh.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cups lemon juice
- Make crust: In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, and melted butter. Pat into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie pan or 5 mini tart pans. Refrigerate until pie filling is ready.
- Make filling: In a heavy saucepan, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and lemon juice until smooth. Cook over medium heat until very hot but NOT BOILING, stirring occasionally. Strain the filling through a sieve into the prepared shell. Refrigerate an hour or until set. Cover and chill another hour before serving.
Adapted from Sweet Serendipity
You can purchase the mini tart pans HERE on Amazon.
These pies are so creamy and tart and easy to throw together. I hope you love them.
Enjoy and happy Monday!!