These gooey, buttery German Chocolate Oatmeal Bars are full of caramel, coconut, pecans, and German chocolate chunks.
There’s oatmeal in them, which makes them perfectly acceptable, if you ask me. And also, I can basically justify anything. It’s a life skill I possess, along with being excellent at binge watching Netflix and finding the best hiding spots for candy. Special talents, friends. Special talents.
I am currently in the midst of binging on House of Cards. And not to get too drastic, but I’ve pretty much decided that I’m going to pack up all our belongings and move to a townhouse in Washington, DC. I’ll wear power suits and get my hair cut into a sexy/professional pixie and instead of driving places, I’ll call for a chauffeured SUV every time I need to go to the store.
I have to say that my husband isn’t particularly thrilled with the idea, but it’s a vast improvement over this time last year, when I was ready to join a motorcycle gang in California with Jax Teller.
Club first, family second.
The great thing about working from home is that I get to utilize my skill of binge watching Netflix to the fullest. I bake brownies and mop floors while my iPad plays in the background. What can I say, women are just excellent at multitasking.
These bars are perfect for a cozy day at home with TV. I used my favorite Carmelita recipe as a base, then added coconut, pecans, and chunks of German chocolate. The result is a batch of gooey, buttery bars with all the flavor of German chocolate and coconut pecan frosting. These are DEFINITELY crowd pleasing, and comfort food at it’s best.
Bonus? These babies are practically fool-proof. No mixer needed! DO IT!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (you can also use quick oats)
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) salted butter (I use Challenge Butter), melted
- 8 oz German chocolate, chopped into chunks
- 12 oz jar caramel ice cream topping
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325. Coat a 9x13 glass pan with butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- n a large bowl, combine flour, oats, coconut, brown sugar, and baking soda. Add melted butter and stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed (mixture will be very thick, I mixed with my hands towards the end). Press half the mixture into your prepared pan and bake for 17 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chunks. Let sit for 5 minutes, then gently spread with a spatula. Pour caramel evenly over the bars, then sprinkle with pecans. Crumble the rest of the oat mixture over the Rolo/caramel mixture and bake for 17 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for several hours before cutting into squares and serving.
I know you’ll love these! Enjoy!