If you like Fruit Pizza, you’ll love these Summery Fruit Pizza Cupcakes!! Sugar cookie flavored cake topped with cream cheese frosting and fresh fruit is the perfect Summer dessert. They’ll look gorgeous on your dessert table.
I honestly wish I was more of a fruit eater. Why is healthy food so hard? Why can’t fruit come in cute packages with adorable fonts and logos on it? If apples came in an overpriced box with ridiculous promises printed on the front, I would most likely buy them. It’s true.
Also, if you could order fruit online. Like if I could go on Zappos and order a pair of shoes and a giant bag of grapes, I probably would. Shoes and fruit, that’s how life should go, if you ask me.
So these cupcakes are pretty much me pretending to be a fruit person. Which I am. As long as frosting and sugar are included.
I’ve never actually HAD fruit pizza, but I definitely know what it is. All these internet people are flaunting it around all the time like, “look at me, I have a variety of fruits in my house, I made fruit pizza” and I’m over here with two brown bananas and a bruised apple. Whatever, losers.
The main reason I’ve never made fruit pizza is that Jon David and my husband are super picky about food. Jon David won’t eat blueberries and kiwis are very debatable, so I’d be sitting there with a fruit pizza covered in only strawberries and grapes, which is just lame. But the good thing about these cupcakes is you can leave certain fruit off a few or add other fruits to a few, so everyone is happy and getting along and no one is getting grounded for having a smart mouth about fruit.
What I’m saying is, these cupcakes probably saved your family. No biggie.
If you’re wondering if sugar cookie cupcake means a sugar cookie baked in a cupcake tin, the answer is a big fat NO. These are decidedly CAKE that tastes like sugar cookies. I just adapted my snickerdoodle cupcakes into a sweet, sturdy cupcake with a tiny hint of lemon. Top with creamy cream cheese and fresh fruit and you’ve got a cupcake that’s better than any fruit pizza in the land.
- 2 sticks salted butter, slightly softened
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- Variety of fresh fruit -- I used grapes, blueberries, strawberries and kiwi
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla and lemon extracts.
- With the mixer on medium low, add flour and milk alternately, starting and ending with flour mixture and scraping the bowl as needed. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until center of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Prepare frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla on medium speed until smooth. With the mixer on low, add powdered sugar a bit at a time, until all has been added. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for one minute.
- Frost cupcakes generously. Top with plenty of fresh fruit.
For best results, frost and top with fruit as close to serving time as possible.
These are the perfect Summer cupcake — I’ll be serving them at our cookouts this year. I don’t think any of us will ever get tired of them.
Enjoy and have a great day!