I am officially 8 months pregnant, which means I am officially exhausted.
My back hurts and I’m not sleeping well, which basically means that I limp around all day squinting and trying to find a good place to nap.
Unfortunately for Jon David, this also means that I’m losing my patience for questions like:
“How rare are four leaf clovers?”
“If you could invent any app, what would it be?”
“If you could fly, how long do you think it would take you to get to New York and do you think you’d beat a jet?”
And my two FAVORITES:
“Guess how long it will take me to run to the end of the hall and back”
“Do you think I could shoot your belly with my Nerf gun from way back here?”
The other day, I resorted to something I pretty much never do, which was look at my son very seriously and say “Jon David, GO FIND SOMETHING TO DO”.
The bewilderment on his face was something I have never seen. It was kind of like a balloon deflating in slow motion, except for instead of a balloon, it was my kid’s face and instead of air, it was all of his joy slowly seeping out.
He wandered the house looking lost. A whole room full of toys and electronics sat empty while he rearranged every throw pillow in the house and stared blankly at walls.
One time, he was laying down with his face stuck to the carpet. Maybe he was examining for microscopic stains or something, I honestly don’t know.
Anyways, if you need something to do while your child rolls around on the carpet bored because you won’t let them ask questions or play on your phone (the APPS!! Enough with the APPS!!), I suggest baking cupcakes.
They solve all the world problems (and they taste really good to pregnant ladies if you wanna bring some over)
These cupcakes are so fun and simple — Strawberry Cupcakes filled with a strawberry marshmallow filling and topped with strawberry frosting and Frankenberry Cereal.
- Strawberry Cake Mix, plus eggs, oil, and water to prepare (or your favorite strawberry cupcake recipe.)
- 15 Large Strawberry Flavored marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sweetened, frozen strawberries in sugar syrup, thawed and blended smooth
- 1/4 cup sweetened, frozen strawberries in sugar syrup, thawed and blended smooth
- 2 sticks butter (I use salted)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Strawberry Extract
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with liners and set aside.
- Prepare cake batter as directed. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake for about 15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove to cooling rack until cool.
- Using a small knife, cut the centers out of the cupcakes (you don't want to go down more than about 1/2 way). In a microwave safe bowl, microwave strawberry marshmallows and pureed strawberry mixture, stopping to stir every 30 seconds until smooth. It should take about 2 minutes total. Let mixture cool and thicken slightly, then fill cupcakes and chill until firm.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter, extracts, and blended strawberries on low speed until just combined. Add powdered sugar slowly, blending on low until just combined. Increase speed to high and beat for about 2 minutes, or until frosting is smooth, light, and fluffy. Frost cupcakes, covering the filling in the center. Top with cereal.
If you're going to pipe your frosting on high like I did, you should double the frosting recipe
I really loved these cupcakes…the flavor was great, and I loved the frosting and the filling!!
Enjoy and have a very happy Monday!!