My friend Callye recently challenged a bunch of bloggers to find creative ways to use a star cookie cutter.
In case you didn’t know, Callye is like a cookie cutter ninja. I knew better than to even TRY to come up with a fancy smancy cookie. Instead, I decided to incorporate the cutter into MY favorite medium — cupcakes!!
I absolutely LOVE using chewy candy like Airheads in my creations. It’s cheaper than fondant, and tastes way better too. So I decided to pair Airheads with a small star cookie cutter to create edible cupcake toppers.
A five year old child could handle this project.
I mean that literally.
I used fun sized Airheads, which you can buy in a bag at most grocery stores like Walmart or Target. The small star cutter came from the hobby store…you can find sets of cutters of all sizes where they keep the fondant cake decorating supplies.
Just cut the stars out of your Airheads and stick them on top of frosted cupcakes.
If you want to add candy “streamers”, just cut your Airhead into strips using a clean pair of scissors and twirl around a dowel or sturdy straw. Let harden for just a bit and slide it off!!
(that photo was from my New Years Cupcakes I did last December)
You can totally make these!! Easy peasy.
Now — want to see what all the OTHER fabulous ladies did with a star cookie cutter?
Prepare to be amazed…
- Strawberry Shortcake on a Stick, The Decorated Cookie
- Patriotic Lace Cookies , My Little Bakery
- Independence Day Parade Cookies, Jill FCS
- Old Fashioned 4th of July, Vicki’s Sweet Treats
- Light up the Fourth Cookies, The Partiologist
- Declaration of Independence Cookie, Vanilla Bean Baker
- Badge of Liberty Cookies, Lila Loa
- Red, White & Blue Star Cookie Towers, Bake at 350
- 4th of July Firecracker Cookies, Klickitat Street
- Star Cut-out Cookies, Glorious Treats
- Cookie “Pledge”, Lizy B Bakes
- Star-Shaped Krispie Treats, Cookies and Cups
- Easy Star Cupcake Toppers, Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
- Rustic 4th of July Galletes, Haniela’s
- Patriotic Cookie Wreath, Sweetopia
- Patriotic River Rafter, Ali-Bee’s Bake Shop
- Funny Fox Cookies, The Bearfoot Baker
- Quilted Cookie Stars, Cookie Crazie
- Gimme Your John Hancock Stars, Life’s a Batch
- Patriotic Cookie Stir Sticks, The Cookie Artisan
- Patriotic Floral Stars, SweetSugarBelle