I have decided that there are two kinds of Baby Moms — the ones who tote their babies all around town like nothing has changed, and the ones who start living in PJs and hiding out at home to the point that the outside world becomes almost frightening.
Wanna guess which one I am?
The other day, I ventured on my porch to collect some UPS packages, and I’m pretty sure a few of the neighbors applauded.
Then I ran back inside because the sunlight was making smoke rise from my skin.
My shopping lists have become more detailed than ever, which is what happens when you depend on your husband to do the shopping. Items are described by size, location, and exact writing on the label. My lists are basically novels nowadays, minus the cover and binding which ACTUALLY isn’t a bad idea. Men are hairy and sweaty and large handed, which can be rough on notebook paper sometimes.
Also, I basically live on PB&J and frozen bean burritos. I hear that there are burgers and salads and things in the outside land, but my memories are so vague that I can’t be sure.
So the other day, I decided to really live on the edge and make muffins. These muffins are actually worth a lot of money, millions probably, because stuff like making muffins takes me a REAAALY long time right now.
Cut the berries. Feed the baby.
Stir the batter. Change the baby.
Bake muffins. Take pictures of the baby for Instagram.
You get my point.
Besides being worth millions, they are also crazy delicious and not at all complicated to throw together in the morning. Of course, your muffins won’t be QUIIIIIIIITE as valuable as mine, unless you have a tiny baby, BUT — they will taste as good. Unless you are a horrible cook, in which case, maybe you should give this recipe to someone else?
We all have different gifts, just saying.
These muffins are loaded with orange zest, chopped cranberries, and chunks of cream cheese, then topped with streusel and a yummy orange glaze.
- 1/4 cup (4 TBS) Butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 4 oz cold cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add to butter mixture ,alternating with the milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Fold in orange zest, cranberries and cream cheese and divide batter evenly into the 12 prepared muffin tins.
- Prepare topping: In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter and bake for about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 TBS orange juice and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Drizzle over muffins before serving.
These are the perfect holiday breakfast and great for gifting to neighbors.
Enjoy and have a happy Wednesday!!
P.P.S. Speaking of Shelly…she and I are featured in this month’s issue of Foodiecrush, an online magazine for food bloggers!! We were asked to participate in a feature about bloggers who became friends in real life, and I love how the article came out. It’s a lot of fun, so go peek at it if you have a minute!!