Brownies for breakfast! These coffee cake brownies are rich, fudgy, and lightly spiced, with a thick layer of buttery crumb topping.
Can we all agree that breakfast brownies need to be a thing?
I mean, I’m not here to tell lies. I have, on occasion, enjoyed a Cosmic Brownie during the wee hours of the day. It wasn’t awful.
“It’s no worse than a donut,” I tell myself. Incidentally, the donut comparison is one that I make every time I want to justify bad choices.
So I’m having a splash of wine with lunch…it’s no worse than eating piles of fried dough with frosting first thing in the morning, right? So I lied to my children about having a headache so I could hide in my room and binge Dr. Phil and eat gummy bears. Is that really worse than eating a maple bar before I start my day? A new pair of shoes I don’t really need? Well, you can’t wear donuts.
As you can see, sometimes the comparison works, sometimes it doesn’t. Can’t have everything in life, ya know?
These brownies are basically everything we never knew we needed. Lightly spiced, fudgy, and perfectly chewy brownies topped with an equally thick layer of buttery crumb topping.
You might make a mess eating one. Crumbs will most likely fall down your bra and stick to your lip gloss.
And it’s one million percent worth it. It’s always fun when I take my bra off at the end of the day and food falls all over the floor. It’s like a grab bag, never know what you’ll find.
If you’re thinking that cinnamon and chocolate sound like an odd combo…trust me when I say, “TRUST ME.” I am not a weird person, and these are perfectly perfect. The cinnamon is just enough to make these taste warm and cozy. And there might be a pinch of cloves in here too, but again with the trust thing.
These are the perfect compliment to your morning coffee. Or wine! At least it’s not a donut, am I right?
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick salted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8 pan with foil and spray thoroughly with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa and melted butter. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and cloves until combined. Stir in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Stir in vanilla. Fold in flour JUST until you no longer see flour streaks in the batter. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar. Add cold cubes of butter and mix with your hands until the mixture is combined and forms crumbs. Sprinkle over brownie batter, gently pressing into the top.
- Bake for roughly 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs but no raw batter. Let cool completely before cutting and serving.
Enjoy, friends! Have a great day!