Cinnamon Toast Crunch cupcakes are packed full of cinnamon-sugar flavor and topped with a creamy, tangy frosting!
Hey, friends! Haaaaayyyy…..
School starts in the morning and I am feeling all sorts of sassy. There’s a pep in my step that seemed to have been missing for the entire month of August.
Well, if we are being honest, it’s been missing since the second week of June. These kids don’t take long to start bickering right outside the bathroom door that I SHUT FOR A REASON WHO IS JIGGLING THAT HANDLE OMG.
But now that school starts tomorrow, I’m basically Mary Poppins all up in this mug. Dinner was promptly served at 6. We had rolls and side salad — A SIDE SALAD, DID YOU HEAR ME?? Lunch is packed, backpack is by the front door, and I’ve got a smile plastered on my face. Would you like dessert? I’ve prepared cupcakes.
I ACTUALLY MADE DESSERT FOR MY REAL FAMILY OF HUMAN BEINGS.
My alarm is set, and not begrudgingly. I don’t mind, getting up early suddenly seems enticing when you know that you’ll be spending the day in peace. US Weekly and a maple donut in complete silence? Don’t mind if I do, sirs and madams. Don’t mind if I do.
So what will I be doing with a whole day of freedom? Nothing much, if by nothing much you mean peeing with the bathroom door open, eating chocolate NOT SNEAKILY, watching shows where people cuss. You know, just regular things that are my basic right as an adult person.
I also just so happened to stash away two of these Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes after a back-to-school cookout I hosted over the weekend. Breakfast goals, am I right?
I am happy to say that these got RAVE reviews. Like OMG THESE ARE THE BET CUPCAKES I’VE EVER HAD rave reviews. So if you were wondering if these are a must make, the answer is “DUH.”
- 1 box (roughly 18 oz) French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 8 oz (1 block) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with liners and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine cake mix, pudding mix, milk, vegetable oil, sour cream, eggs, and cinnamon. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl and increase mixer speed to high. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Give the bowl a couple of stirs from the bottom with a large wooden spoon, then fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until tops spring back when lightly touched in the center. Remove from oven and let cool in the pans for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a shallow bowl, combine granulated sugar and ground cinnamon. Dip top of a cupcake in the melted butter, then dip into cinnamon sugar. Repeat with remaining cupcakes. Set aside remaining cinnamon sugar for topping.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla and heavy cream, beating on medium speed until smooth. With the mixer on LOW speed, slowly add powdered sugar until just barely combined. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for two minutes.
- Generously frost cupcakes. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar and cereal.
**keep uneaten cupcakes stored in the refrigerator
Enjoy, friends! Happy back to school!!