This Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake has strawberry cake layers filled with chocolate ganache frosting and topped with light whipped cream. It’s the perfect finish to Valentine’s Day — or any day!!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake
How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?
Personally, I think it’s great. I know lots of you are all blah blah, it’s a fake holiday, blah blah commercialism, but honestly…that’s the best part about it.
If I’m grumpy or having a fat day or decide there’s something really good on TV that night, I can totally play the “it’s not even a real holiday” card and totally ignore it. On the other hand…if I’m craving chocolate, affection or just want to be a pain in the behind, I can be a World Class Valentine’s Celebrator.
As women, we pretty much set the tone for how the holiday is gonna go. I’ve played it both ways, life is fickle like that.
Another good thing about Valentine’s Day? When your husband asks what’s for dinner and after not mentioning Valentine’s Day all day,you look at him shocked and say, “dinner?? You want me to cook dinner ON VALENTINE’S DAY??? DID YOU NOT PLAN ANYTHING FOR US??”
That will buy you at least a foot rub. Or in my husband’s case, an emergency run to the drugstore for wine and whatever Ben & Jerry’s flavor I ask for.
I know so because I read it on Wikipedia.
This is particularly lucky for us, because you are going to make this amazing cake on Valentine’s Day and eat as much as you want!! Then you’ll feel fat and bloated and your husband will try to be kissy and you’ll be all…dude? Seriously? I’m so fat right now.
I used my favorite strawberry cake as the base for this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake recipe — it’s from Paula Deen and is my ALL TIME favorite strawberry cake. It’s so moist and strawberry-ish, I’ve never met a human who didn’t love it. Or dog. Or cat.
Are you allowed to feed cake to cats? Ooops.
I whipped up a chocolate ganache that I beat with some powdered sugar to thicken it up. Once you spread it on the cake and let it sit for a bit, it firms up and it’s like fudge.
- 1 (18.25 oz) box white cake mix (Duncan Hines should be the right size)
- 1 (3 oz) box strawberry Jell-O
- 15 oz container frozen sliced strawberries in sugar, thawed and pureed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 TBS powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 2 8 or 9 inch cans thoroughly with nonstick vegetable oil spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer combine cake mix, Jell-O, pureed strawberry mixture, eggs, vegetable oil, and water. Beat on medium high speed until smooth, about a minute and a half. Pour batter evenly in prepared pans and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cakes to wire racks and let cool in pans for about 5 minutes. Use a sharp knife to help loosen cakes from sides of pan if needed, then turn onto racks to finish cooling completely. For easiest handling, cover and chill cake in the refrigerator several hours or overnight. Alternately, you could cover cooled cake and freeze for about an hour.
- Ganache Frosting:
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and cream, stopping to stir every 30 seconds until smooth. Set mixture aside to thicken and cool for about 30 minutes. Scrape mixture into mixing bowl and beat on medium high with powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Prepare whipped cream: Place metal mixing bowl and your mixer's whisk attachment in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Pour cream and powdered sugar in chilled bowl and beat with chilled whisk attachment on high speed until a stiff whipped cream forms.
- Assemble cake: Using a serrated knife, carefully split each cake horizontally so you have 4 rounds. Place one round on plate, frost with 1/3 of chocolate frosting and repeat process until all but the very top is frosted. Cover top of cake with whipped cream and spread to edges. Top with sprinkles or chocolate covered strawberry if desired.
I hope you love it — I ate half of it, so I love it a LOT!!
EAT ALL THE CAKE, EVERYONE!!
Enjoy and have a happy Monday.