Everything Bars are layers of chocolate chip cookie, fluffy marshmallow, chewy caramel, and salty pretzels. These are one of my favorites!
One thing I am super bad at is small talk.
I have never been a fan of unnecessary words — they take a lot of breath, much like running. So while I do love getting to know people or chatting with friends, I just don’t see the value in exchanging meaningless words with strangers when we both know that the relationship isn’t going to be going any further than one random encounter.
The worst small talk situation is when I take Lucy to the small park in our neighborhood. It’s a great park for her age — small, with uncomplicated equipment so her tiny self doesn’t get hurt or overwhelmed. But the problem with the size is that when there is another mom at the park, it’s impossible to completely avoid one another, due to the close proximity.
Personally, I am fine with a polite nod. Maybe even a “hello” or a “SUCH a nice day!”. But I just do not see the need for things to go further than that. I’m completely great just following Lucy around, snapping the occasional photo or checking Facebook on my phone.
“Hi ladies, listen…you all seem super nice, but we all know this isn’t going anywhere. You’re busy with the PTA, I have a lot of Twizzlers to eat and Dr. Phil reruns to watch…our dance cards are full. Let’s just save our words and breath and get through this with polite nods. Doesn’t have to be weird.”
But the thing is, people DO think that is weird. So instead I stand there lying about what I do for a living (the last thing I want to do is get into the whole “blogger” conversation) and trying to figure out a polite way to end the unnecessary words. Sometimes I daydream about saying something like, “excuse me, I need to go fart,” and then walking over to a nearby bench and sitting down. No one will be sitting next to me after that, that’s for darn sure.
Maybe I should start bringing these bars with me — no one can talk if their mouths are full.
These bars are one of my absolute all-time favorites. Chocolate Chip cookie, topped with marshmallow, caramel, mini M&M’s and pretzels.
They are the perfect amount of chewy, fluffy, crunchy, sweet and salty — and the layers look so pretty! No one will guess that you just threw them together in minutes.
These are seriously one of my favorite things I’ve ever made, and more than one person told me that they were one of the best things they’d ever eaten.
You can throw them together so quickly, and they’re perfect for birthday parties, sleepovers, or pot lucks.
- 1 1/2 tubes refrigerated cookie dough (of course, you could use both tubes but I liked the thickness of the bars using 1 1/2, plus I like having the rest in the fridge to eat)
- 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 11 oz caramel bits
- 2 cups (or so) mini salted pretzel twists
- 1/4 cup (or so) mini M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a metal 9x13 pan with foil and spray well with nonstick cooking spray.
- Press cookie dough evenly into bottom of pan. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until edges are dark golden brown and middle is puffy and golden. Upon removing from oven, immediately cover with mini marshmallows and place back in the oven for a minute or two, until the marshmallows are puffed but not browned.
- Let marshmallows cool for a few minutes -- meanwhile, prepare caramel. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave caramel bits with a Tablespoon of water for one minute. Stir, then continue to microwave until smooth, stopping to stir every 30 seconds.
- Evenly drizzle caramel sauce over marshmallow. Immediately begin pressing pretzels into the top of the bars. Sprinkle with mini M&Ms and let bars cool completely. For neater cutting, chill bars before cutting and serving. Keep bars stored in refrigerator.
I really hope you give these a try…they’re amazing!!
Enjoy and have a happy Monday!!