So, I know this is going to make me sound like the cheesiest mom that ever existed, but the other day I bought these Family Talk cards.
Basically, they are cards that give you ideas of things to talk about at dinner time. Because I can only watch Jon David stare at me blankly while I ask who he played with at recess so many times before I lose my ever loving mind.
One of the questions on the cards is, “If you could go back and name YOURSELF, what name would you choose?”.
Jon David answered, without hesitation, “Fitzgerald”.
Not Kevin, or Blade, or Flame, or Jason.
He even went so far as to inform me that I was pronouncing Fitzgerald wrong.
Because apparently, the emphasis goes on the FITZ, not the GERALD.
I never really saw myself as raising a Fitzgerald, but apparently that is what has been going on for nine years, right under my very nose.
FITZ gerald. I have been raising an undercover Fitzgerald.
If you need me, I’ll be hiding somewhere, questioning my entire life and eating huge slices of this Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread slathered in butter.
I eat all the crumb topping part first because, duh.
This recipe makes two loaves, so you can make one and give one to a friend!! Or eat them both selfishly, which is what I do.
***NOTE: Several readers have complained about the amount of crumb topping — I have since halved it to remedy the issue (I guess I am an overcrumb-er around here). The below recipe reflects the change. Hope that helps!!***
- Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 stick (4 TBS) cold, salted butter, cut into small pieces
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBS flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pumpkin Bread:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 16 oz can pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans and set aside.
- Make crumb topping: In a large bowl, mix flour and white sugar. Cut in butter -- I usually use my hands, but you could use two knifes or a pastry cutter. Blend until mixture is coarse and crumbly and set aside.
- Prepare cream cheese filling: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg, flour and vanilla on medium speed with the whisk attachment until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare pumpkin bread batter: In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium speed. With the mixer on medium, add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Decrease the mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture until just mixed. Using a wooden spoon fold in the pumpkin. Give it a few good stirs from the bottom, making sure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Fill prepared pans about 1/4 of the batter each (so you should have 1/2 batter left after filling both). Split cream cheese filling between the two, spreading evenly over batter. Top with remaining pumpkin bread batter and split the crumb topping between the two loaves.
- Bake for about an hour, until loves are lightly browned on top and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool before serving.
Enjoy and have a very happy Monday!!