I don’t know about you, but I am a huge fan of cake.
I mean… foam finger waving, jumping up and down, HUGE. GIANT. FAN.
(And by foam finger, I don’t mean the Miley kind, gross. I mean a wholesome, #1 Cake Fan foam finger that has lived a perfectly wholesome life and has only touched the body parts that God intended foam fingers to touch)
Cake is not always the most CONVENIENT of desserts. Especially on the go.
You need a knife for cutting, plates and forks for eating…it’s a whole big thing. An event, if you will. No one casually eats a piece of cake while running errands or sitting in the car line at school.
(as a side note, a piece of cake would make the car line a lot more bearable, am I right?)
That’s where these bars come in. You get all the flavor of German Chocolate Cake, with none of the inconvenience. Want to pop one of these in your honey’s lunch box? Pretty sure eating cake bars with your bare hands is manly.
Want to eat one in the car line? Ain’t nobody judging.
And they couldn’t be simpler to whip up! A box of cake mix, some oil and eggs, and frosting. I made the frosting myself, but you could certainly use the canned kind if you were short on time (although it’s nowhere near as good).
Also yes, I did say cake mix. If you’re one of those people who is a tyrant about box mixes (which is cool, I’m not hating), please don’t waste your energy on hate mail. I print all my mean comments out and then burn them, using the flames from that fire to bake more things with chemicals.
So what I’m saying is, not only will you be wasting perfectly good trees, but you’ll also be fueling the consumption of more chemicals.
Here’s the recipe!!
- 1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 11 oz bag caramel bits
- 3 TBS heavy cream
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans (I use ones that are very finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x9 or 7x11 pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat cake mix, oil, and eggs on medium low speed until combined -- mixture will be thick. Press mixture into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes, until edges are set and center is puffy. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Prepare frosting: In a microwave safe bowl, microwave caramel bits and heavy cream, stopping to stir every 30 seconds until smooth. Stir in coconut and pecans. Spread over bars.
- Let cool completely before cutting and serving.
Enjoy and have a great day!!