- Confessions of a Cookbook Queen - http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com -
Peanut Brittle Bark
Posted By Kristan On February 24, 2013 @ 6:01 pm In Candy | 21 Comments
- 3 (ish) cups popped kettle corn
- 2 (ish) cups mini pretzel twists
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup salted Spanish peanuts
- 2 TBS butter, softened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Candy thermometer
1. Butter a 9 x 13 x 1 inch cookie sheet. Cover cookie sheet with kettle corn (I used microwave kettle corn but you can make yours homemade if you want). Layer pretzels over the popcorn so that they cover most of the surface.
2. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Measure out your peanuts, butter, and baking soda and have them nearby in separate containers.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once the mixture boils, add your peanuts and clip your candy thermometer inside the pan. Stir until the mixture reaches 300 F. If you’re not sure, put a tiny bit of the candy in a glass of cold water — if it immediately hardens into a breakable strand, it’s ready. If it sinks, or can bend without breaking, it needs to cook longer.
4. Remove pan from heat and immediately stir in baking soda and butter. Pour the mixture evenly over your pretzel/popcorn and spread gently if needed. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the surface while brittle is still warm. Let it melt for a few minutes, then gently press the chocolate and brittle with a spatula to smooth the chocolate and flatten the brittle into the popcorn and peanuts. Let brittle and chocolate cool and harden before breaking into chunks and serving.
Article printed from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen: http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com
URL to article: http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com/2013/02/brittle-bark-recipe/
Copyright © 2011-2012. Confessions of a Cookbook Queen. All rights reserved.