Today is the specialest Monday I’ve had in a long time.
(Is specialest a word? I mean, I know special-IST is a word, but what about special-EST?? The squiggly red line says no, but who even listens to that old thing?)
I got to know Christina about a year ago through her site. I remember that she was struggling with the idea of marriage at the time, and I left her a comment with my two cents (I’m good at giving my two cents…usually I’ll even give you four), and she sent me the sweetest email back. I liked Christina immediately and really hope to meet her in person some day.
Because my comment about marriage is how we got to know each other, I’ll give her my two cents again today :
Marriage is hard. SUPER hard. Some days you love your husband so much, you are overwhelmed with gratefulness. And some days, just looking at him makes you want to punch something.
But don’t do that, it’s really mean and illegal.
But like anything difficult in life, it’s totally worth it. Because what your husband is, is FAMILY.
Marriage is not always romantic and sometimes it resembles work more than the fun you remember. But one day you’ll look at your husband and realize that his life and yours are so intertwined, you’d feel like you were missing a limb if anything ever happened to him. He will see you at your worst and your best, live through your happiest and saddest moments with you, and love you until the end of time. I have no doubt that the two of you will have a wonderful marriage, and I am SO SO happy for the two of you!!
Now for dessert — I made cupcakes!!
Because Christina is from the South, I knew I had to work Sweet Tea into her shower cupcakes. Sweet Tea is basically required drinking down here in Arkansas, and I’m sure it’s no different in Texas.
Since this is for a shower, I made the cupcakes mini, but you could make these full sized too. The frosting is really easy and has a really great sweet tea flavor.
I know that Sweet Tea Frosting might sound weird, but just trust me.
Happy Wedding Shower Day, Christina!! I hope you love your cupcakes!!
And of course, since this is a shower…there are lots of other fun recipes from Christina’s friends!! Make sure to pop over and check them out!!
Mini Lemon Cupcakes with Sweet Tea Frosting
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 oz box lemon Jell-O
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 regular sized tea bags
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line 48 mini muffin tins with liners, or 24 regular sized muffin tins.
2. Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over 3 tea bags. Let steep for 10 minutes. Remove tea bags, squeezing out excess water. Place tea concentrate in the fridge to cool.
3. In the bowl of a mixer, combine cake mix and Jell-O. Add vegetable oil, water, eggs, and lemon extract. Mix on low for about 30 seconds. Scrape sides of the bowl and beat on medium speed for one minute. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched — mini cupcakes about 5 – 10 minutes, and regular sized cupcakes about 15 minutes. Let cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
3. Prepare frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, combine tea, butter, and shortening. Beat on low speed until smooth and combined. Slowly add powdered sugar. Once powdered sugar is barely mixed in, increase speed to medium high and beat for about a minute, until fluffy. Frost cooled cupcakes and serve.
**Cupcake batter adapted from Allrecipes.com
Strawberry Macarons from Krissy
White Wedding Cake Cupcakes from Julie
Mini “I Do-nuts” from Tara
Moon Pie Cake from Madison
Whiskey Walnut Blondies from Jenna
Brown Butter Snickerdoodles from Joanne
Chocolate Covered Cheerios from Shelly
Mini Coconut Cream Pies from Megan
Sweet and Salty Party Cookies from Lauren