So, there is totally no need to make a big deal about this, but this is my Birthday Week.
I turn 33 on Wednesday, and I’m pretty sure that when you are two identical numbers it means that lots of good things are going to happen. Hopefully things involving wine and shopping, but who are we kidding — I’d settle for 7 hours uninterrupted sleep.
Also, I share a birthday with Kate Middleton, which I am positive means something, especially considering that Downton Abbey premiers on my Birthday Week. It’s like all the stars are lining up and forming a sparkly sign declaring that I’m meant to be from England. I’ve seen Notting Hill like a trazillion times, so Britishness is basically my first language anyways, so I’d fit right in.
Unfortunately, Arkansas people don’t do very Englishey things, so I’ll probably just spend my birthday watching Dr. Phil and sending my husband guilt trip texts, disguised as laid back and low maintenance wife texts. Like, “Oh no honey…you don’t need to bring me lunch, I’ll just eat peanut butter and jelly”, or “No, babe…don’t worry about coming home from work early, the baby has been screaming all day but I don’t mind” or my PERSONAL favorite, “No need to make a big fuss, my birthday is JUST ANOTHER DAY”.
Anyways — in honor of the big day, I thought I’d make an extra special, over the top treat.
Chocolate Chip cookie, topped with marshmallow, caramel, mini M&M’s and pretzels.
When I first thought about these, I was a little worried they’d be TOO MUCH. But trust me when I say that they aren’t. Caramel and marshmallow is one of my favorite combinations, and the pretzels cut the sweetness just enough and also add great texture.
These are seriously one of my favorite things I’ve ever made, and more than one person told me that they were one of the best things they’d ever eaten.
The other great thing about these? They’re hardly even a recipe!!
You can throw them together so quickly, and they’re perfect for birthday parties, sleepovers, or pot lucks.
- 1 1/2 tubes refrigerated cookie dough (of course, you could use both tubes but I liked the thickness of the bars using 1 1/2, plus I like having the rest in the fridge to eat)
- 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 11 oz caramel bits
- 2 cups (or so) mini salted pretzel twists
- 1/4 cup (or so) mini M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a metal 9x13 pan with foil and spray well with nonstick cooking spray.
- Press cookie dough evenly into bottom of pan. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until edges are dark golden brown and middle is puffy and golden. Upon removing from oven, immediately cover with mini marshmallows and place back in the oven for a minute or two, until the marshmallows are puffed but not browned.
- Let marshmallows cool for a few minutes -- meanwhile, prepare caramel. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave caramel bits with a Tablespoon of water for one minute. Stir, then continue to microwave until smooth, stopping to stir every 30 seconds.
- Evenly drizzle caramel sauce over marshmallow. Immediately begin pressing pretzels into the top of the bars. Sprinkle with mini M&Ms and let bars cool completely. For neater cutting, chill bars before cutting and serving. Keep bars stored in refrigerator.
I really hope you give these a try…they’re amazing!!
Enjoy and have a happy Monday!!