A few things:
1. I almost bought THIS sweater today. I don’t know why. I’m blaming the fact that I am uncomfortable and it looked cozy, and I came down with a case of Temporary Discomfort Insanity or something. Someone just hide my debit card until the baby gets here. Please.
2. Don’t you love it when you go to Old Navy and the cashier tells you that you look like you are having a BIG BABY? THEN she proceeds to fill you in on her coworker’s horrifying C-Section (that she had to get because of her BIG BABY)?? Yeah… me too.
3. My friend Shelly says that I am bombarded with inappropriate pregnancy comments because I look too approachable. I’m thinking about buying a (faux) fur coat and practicing my mean face.
4. Upon reflection, I’m pretty sure “having a big baby”means “you are super huge”. Because what other indicator was there of the baby’s size? I need to stop thinking about this before I accidentally (on purpose) punch someone.
5. I ordered THIS mask the other day and I’m dying from excitement for it to get here. That’s the thing about beauty products…they make me believe in miracles. Even just temporarily.
6. This Summer, people kept telling me that I looked like that “Not Impressed” Gymnast, Mckayla. Now it’s Ashley Benson. I don’t see even a remote resemblance, although I wish I did. If I was that pretty, people might be mesmerized by my face instead of STARING AT MY BELLY the end.
7. I love Ugly Food. It’s true. Bread Pudding, Chicken and Dumplings, Rice Pudding…if it looks bland and blah, it is probably my favorite. Like the Applesauce Bars I made. Tan and dull looking? Yes. Completely amazing? Absolutely.
8. Also…the frosting. Just make it, already.
These are the perfect flavors for Fall…and they’re sturdy, so they’re great for lunchboxes or bake sales.
Applesauce Bars with Caramel Cinnamon Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 TBS heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 10×15 jelly roll pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside. In the bowl of a mixer, combine shortening, water, applesauce, and egg. Beat until combined, then slowly add flour mixture. Beat for about 3 minutes on medium speed, until fluffy. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until top springs back when lightly touched. Allow to cool, then frost with Caramel Cinnamon Frosting
4. Frosting: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla, then add powdered sugar and cinnamon. Pour in the bowl of a mixer and beat on medium high for about a minute, until fluffy and smooth.