If you’ve read this blog (or my About Me page), for any length of time, you probably know that I am a firm believer in cake mixes.
I mean, really…anything that gets freshly baked cake into my face and the faces of the people I love quickly and efficiently cannot be a bad thing.
Cake mixes also lend themselves to tons of adaptations. The cupcake, cookie, bar, and whoopie pie possibilities are endless.
So obviously, I am a huge fan of The Cake Mix Doctor. I have ALL of her cookbooks (she has several), and they are ALL great!! The things she does with cake mixes are just magical, and I have used her recipes countless times over the years.
I was recently contacted about trying her new cake mixes, and I was so excited to try them out!! They contain real ingredients — no artificial colors, flavorings, preservatives, or transfat, and can be prepared in one bowl in less than five minutes.
You get a from scratch taste without the effort, which sounded to me like the best idea ever.
I decided to try using the yellow cake mix to make Honeybun Cake.
I’ve been making this cake for years and years — it’s so ridiculously easy, and one of my husband’s favorites!! I love to make it in the evening so we can have a piece warm for dessert, then have some for breakfast the next day too.
The cake turned out perfectly with The Cake Mix Doctor Mix — it’s my favorite version yet!!
Here’s the recipe — but keep reading below to see how to enter to win some Cake Mix Doctor Mixes of your own!![/donotprint]
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 8oz container sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325. Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a mixer, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, and sour cream. Beat on low speed for a few seconds, then on medium just until batter is fully combined and all large lumps are gone.
4. Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly (batter will be thick). Sprinkle all of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly across the surface. Cover with remaining cake batter, spreading evenly (spreading can be a bit difficult because the batter is thick — if some of the topping shows through or ends up mixed in with the top layer, it’s totally fine). Using a small knife, swirl through the batter and cinnamon mixture, making the pattern of a large honeybun. Bake cake for about 40 minutes, until center is set.
5. Immediately make your glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Once it’s smooth, pour over warm cake and spread evenly.
[donotprint] This cake is so easy and perfect for any occasion. We love it!!
If you want to try this cake with a Cake Mix Doctor Mix (which I highly recommend), you can look here to see how to purchase them AND you can enter to win some here!!
Anne has offered to ship 4 boxes of cake mix (2 chocolate and 2 yellow) to one lucky winner!!
To enter, just leave a comment telling me what YOU would use the cake mixes for!!
I’ll be taking entries until Sunday 9/2 at 11:59 pm. Winner will be contacted Monday via email.
I’m also sharing a yummy cupcake recipe later this week using the chocolate Cake Mix Doctor Mix — I think you’ll love them!!
Good luck and thanks for entering.[/donotprint]