I have decided that vacationing while pregnant is one of the best ideas of all time.
On the surface, it doesn’t sound so great. It’s hot out, you can’t have the giant umbrella-ey drinks that make 24/7 family time more bearable, AND you constantly have to find bathrooms so you can pee ALL THE LIVELONG DAY.
I’m not even going to mention my pasty white self lounging in a maternity one-piece while I watch skinny, tan teenagers run around in their tiny bikinis.
**cough cough face punch cough**
But it turns out, if you dig a liiiiiiitttttle deeper…there is a hidden gem buried deep beneath the pregnant vacationing experience.
You find a way to use it to your advantage.
The kids want to spend the day at that waterpark you’ve been driving by for the past few days?
“Gee, guys…I’d love to take you, but pregnant women can’t go down big slides and it’s SO hot outside…it’s not good for the baby. You should probably ask dad if he can manage it”
Guess who just bought themselves a free afternoon?
Obviously, I’d never encourage you to lie, but if the only thing that tiny fetus wants is for you to lay in bed and eat donuts while your husband takes the kid to ride Go Karts and play arcade games, you probably should listen to your body.
That’s all I’m saying.
And seriously, I’m pretty wise. Like a female Mr. Miyagi, only I’m white and don’t know anything about karate or tiny trees.
Anyways. Let’s talk about cookies now.
Awhile back, I got a sweet email from a reader who shared one of her favorite cookie recipes with me — Gooey Butter Cookies. I have had Gooey Butter CAKES, but I LOVED the idea of Gooey Butter Cookies, and the recipe is amazingly simple.
You can use any flavor cake mix (she favors orange) but I had lemon cake mix on hand so that is what I went with.
Needless to say, these are crazy good, and I’m excited about all the flavor possibilities!!
Thank you so much to Danielle for sharing this recipe. These cookies are the best I’ve had in awhile and I got tons of compliments on them!!
Gooey Butter Lemon Cookies
- Box Duncan Hines Lemon Cake Mix
- 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 egg
- About 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add cake mix and egg and beat on medium until combined. Stir in white chocolate chips.
3. Using a small cookie scoop, scoop onto lined baking sheets, a couple of inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges just start to turn golden.
4. Let cool before removing to cooling racks. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and store in refrigerator or freezer for a cool treat.