These Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes start with a white cake mix, and are combined with strawberry jello and pureed strawberries in sugar syrup and topped with a lemonade buttercream. Heaven!
Sometimes I kind of forget how old I am.
In my mind, I’m still around my early 20′s, which is kind of a stupid time for my brain to choose because I can tell you with certainty that I was not at my best then. I was too skinny, smoked cigarettes, and went out on dates with guys I knew would probably annoy me just for the free dinner. But for whatever reason, I see young people and think, “oh, they’re about my age, I could probably hang out with them”, then I do the math and realize that I was graduating High School when they started Kindergarten.
A couple of days ago, my husband and I went to the wedding of a couple who were just graduating from college. The bridesmaid dresses were cute and tasteful (when did THAT start happening?), the colors were muted and trendy, it was actually fun to watch, and I was wondering, when did weddings get all cool? Which is totally something an old person wonders about.
At the reception, the couple and their friends started dancing to rap music and all I could think about was #1 If I went out there, I would be THAT weird old person #2 I didn’t even know the moves that they all seemed to know and #3 The music was super loud. Like…I couldn’t even hear myself think, which was totally distracting.
When you find yourself saying things like, “let’s go home, the music is so loud it’s giving me a headache”, you are officially NOT a young person anymore.
Anyways, I say if you’re getting older, just embrace it. Because there is nothing worse than being that old person who thinks they can still dress like they are in High School, trust me on this.
Also loud music is overrated. People need to be able to converse, it’s part of life.
Because Memorial Day was yesterday, it’s officially time for Summer desserts. I thought we’d start with Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes. For the cake part, I used a recipe from Paula Deen (pre diabetic recipes) that I’ve been dying to try for awhile. White cake mix is combined with strawberry jello and pureed strawberries in sugar syrup and the result is amazing.
- 18.25 oz box white cake mix
- 3 oz box strawberry gelatin
- 15 oz (mine was 16 oz and it was fine) package frozen strawberries in sugar syrup, thawed and pureed
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 sticks butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup sweetened lemonade mix (I used Country Time)
- 2-3 Tablespoons water
- Lemon drops and sanding sugar for garnish (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- 2. In the bowl of a mixer, stir together cake mix and gelatin powder. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water. Beat on low speed until just combined, then increase speed to medium and beat until batter is smooth. Fill cupcake tins about 2/3 full, and bake for about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool on a cooling rack.
- 3. Make frosting: In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and lemonade powder and beat on low until just combined. Add 2 Tablespoons water and increase speed to medium high, beating for about 2 minutes, until fluffy and smooth. If frosting is too thick, add another tablespoon of water.
- 4. Frost cupcakes, top with a lemon drop and sanding sugar if desired.
If you're going to pipe the frosting high on your cupcakes, double the frosting recipe.
If I had a little girl…. (ahem, baby in my belly), I would make these cupcakes for tea parties all the time and it would be fabulous.
Speaking of, I’m at 14 weeks!!
My first appointment (FINALLY) is Thursday, and I’m super anxious to see if all is well. Please keep your fingers crossed!!
Enjoy the cupcakes and have a happy Tuesday!!