I have decided that there is a very fine line (almost invisible, actually) line between being an awesome mom and a glutton for punishment.
This is evidenced by the fact that yesterday, on Mother’s Day, I decided to pay way too much money for not ONE, but TWO handcrafted rubber band guns for Jon David.
At the time, the two gun thing made perfect sense, because he told me he needed one gun per hand and I was all, “you know, sir…I cannot argue with such logic. Here is all my money”.
I then spent my entire Mother’s Day Nap (which had been much hyped) listening to rubber bands whiz by me as I laid on the couch.
Someone is bound to lose an eye at some point. I’m trying to decide if I have a future as a pirate, but for one thing, I’m deathly afraid of parrots. Their eyes are just way too intelligent and birds were not meant to speak to us. If that was how life went down, blue birds would sing and hang my laundry on the lines to dry and sparrows would perch on the windowsill to wish me a good day. So obviously, parrots are not real life and are probably plotting to pick us all off one by one.
I am not kidding.
Second of all, I do not enjoy the open seas, I will not even go on a Carnival Cruise, so a pirate ship is probably not in the cards for me. Also, I’ve heard that pirate ships have this thing called a poop deck, and I do not like the sound of that at all.
I have decided that video games are much safer, these old timey toys are just crazy town.
Fortunately, this cake that I’ve made you is a completely selfish Mom Dessert. It’s the kind of thing my husband will EAT, but would never request because it’s not covered in caramel or chocolate. And there are no M&Ms on top, so Jon David isn’t really interested either. Also, it’s so light and fluffy, you can eat like four pieces easy peasy.
Recipe from Taste of Home Cake Mix Treats Feb Issue
- 1 (16 oz) package angel food cake mix
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 envelopes Dream Whip (whipped topping mix)
- 2 cups cold milk
- shredded sweetened coconut and maraschino cherries for garnish
1. Prepare and bake angel food cake according to box directions. Let cool completely.
2. While cake is baking and cooling, prepare pineapple filling: In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Let stand for a minute. Stir in boiling water until gelatin is dissolved. Add the pineapple with juice, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Stir to combine. Refrigerate about 40 minutes, until partially thickened.
3. In a large bowl, beat all the whipped topping mix and milk until stiff. Fold into the pineapple mixture until combined.
4. Cut angel food cake into 1 inch cubes. Place half the cubes in a layer in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Spread half of the filling over the top. Repeat layers and refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. Top with coconut and cherry before serving.
This cake is really really good. It’s not too heavy, so it’s a perfect Summer dessert.