There are some things in life that were just meant to happen.
Britney Spears on the X Factor.
Birthday Cake ice cream.
Spanx, the very best diet alternative ever created.
All life changing things.
These bars are kind of like that. Simple, almost a no brainer, but once you have one you will wonder how you ever lived without them.
(also…can we talk more about Britney Spears being on the X Factor?? Are you dying from excitement too, or am I twelve?)
A chewy peanut butter bar filled with chopped Hershey Bars with Almonds. Topped with marshmallow creme and fudge frosting. What more do you need from life?
You deserve these for Mother’s Day. Or Thursday. Whatevs.
Take a few of these to a friend–they deserve to be shared!!
Peanut Butter Rocky Road Bars
Peanut Butter Bar Base adapted from Rosie’s All-Butter Fresh Cream Sugar-Packed Baking Book
- Peanut Butter Bars:
- 1 1/3 cups plus 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 King Size Hershey Bars with Almonds, roughly chopped
- 13 oz jar Marshmallow Creme
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 11×7 baking pan (NOT 9×13 or 8×8) with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. set aside.
3. In the bowl of a mixer, cream butter, peanut butter, and both sugars and vanilla on medium high until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating on medium speed after each. Add dry ingredients to the bowl and mix on low until fully combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Fold in chopped candy bars and spread the batter evenly in prepared pan.
4. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until edges are dark golden and center is lightly browned and puffy.
5. While bars are still warm, spoon marshmallow cream over the surface. Give it a few minutes to soften and melt, then spread evenly with a spatula.
6. Prepare fudge frosting: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in cocoa powder and milk and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and JUST begins to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and chopped almonds until fully combined.
7. Spoon frosting evenly over marshmallow topping. Marshmallow may start to bubble up–that is okay. You may want to place pan of bars on a baking sheet before adding chocolate frosting in case of a little bit of frosting drips over the sides of the pan.
8. Let bars cool before serving. To keep marshmallow from getting too melty and to ease in cutting, store in refrigerator.