I have decided that the First Trimester of pregnancy needs a fast forward button.
My cravings for sweets is nearly non existent and my normally bordering-on-insomniac self spends the entire day on the verge of falling asleep standing up. I have never punched a human being (or animal, to be clear), but if they stood in the way of a quiet place to lie down at around 4 in the afternoon, I cannot be responsible for what hormones drive my body to do.
I am but a passenger on this wild ride of emotions after all.
Also, I’m big enough that people can tell that I’m pregnant, but NOT big enough that I get especially spoiled or anything, which is kind of lame. Why does everyone only spoil the women who are like 8 months? That’s the best part!! Trust me, when I was 8 months pregnant with Jon David, I was practically a normal human being again, except for the part that there was a 6 pound human punching me in the stomach all day. But that isn’t THAT big of a deal, is it??
So basically, I have to force my family into spoiling me and remembering at ALL TIMES, my very sensitive situation. Sometimes, when I feel like my husband and Jon David are being stressful, I stop what I’m doing and yell “STRESS!!! STRESS!!!” until they stop.
Stress is not good for me OR the tiny bean sized baby. DUH.
Although I’m not particularly partial to sweets right now, the occasional craving does strike (today it was McDonald’s soft serve, a few days before that, Fruity Pebbles), and one thing I crave a lot is…DONUTS!!
I decided to try my hand at recreating the new Devil’s Food Mini Donuts from Hostess. And if we’re being honest here, mine are better.
Also, pregnant people can’t lie, it makes the fetus angry. So…you definitely need to believe me on this.
Mini donuts are just a happy food. Make them soon!!
Mini Devil’s Food Donuts
Adapted from Wilton
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- For Chocolate Coating:
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup shortening
- Sprinkles, for garnish
- Mini Donut Pan(s)
1. Preheat oven to 425. Spray donut pan with nonstick spray.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Beat on medium until just combined. Spoon or pipe (I use a disposable piping bag with the tip cut off) the batter into the donut pan, filling each mold just slightly less than halfway.
3. Bake for about 4 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Allow to cool in pans for a few minutes, then remove to cooling rack. Make chocolate coating.
4. Place chocolate chips and shortening in a medium-large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Dip cooled donuts in the coating, allowing excess to drip off. Place on a cooling sheet with wax paper underneath to catch the drips. Shake sprinkles over donuts before chocolate sets, if desired.
5. Once chocolate is set, serve.
You can buy a mini donut pan HERE.
Makes about 4 dozen mini donuts