Valentines Day is not usually a big deal at my house.
But every year after Christmas, I get the Christmas Is Over What Am I Going To Do With Myself I Need Shopping and Sugar Cookies and Carols Blues, so this year, I decided that focusing on Valentines Day would be a good distraction.
OBVIOUSLY…it was the best idea ever.
I started decorating my house in pink heart-ey whimsicalness, and informed my husband that I am now a “Valentines Person”, meaning that he has to make a real effort this year and get me tons of fabulous gifts, or I will be big time hurt and offended.
To which HE responded that (insert giant sarcastic air quotes from me), “Valentines Day isn’t a REAL holiday, the banks don’t even close”.
Seriously, does he think that I make my holiday determination based on the banks schedule? I don’t even LIKE the bank, and the last time I went through the bank I accidentally drove through a lane that said “Closed” but I couldn’t tell because the sun was in my eyes and plus I was eating a snowcone and was distracted. Soooo…the bank lady made me back up and go to a whole other lane and if she KNEW that amount of mental preparation I had to go through prior to errands like “THE BANK”, she would have understood that such a chastising would scar me for LIFE.
The bank is dead to me.
Unless I need money. Duh.
Anyways, I politely informed my husband that if I became Catholic, he would have to buy me Rosary beads and go to Mass, and if I converted to Judaism he would have to buy me Hanuka gifts, so as it stands, I am now a Valentines Person, and my decision needs to be treated with respect. Meaning roses, chocolates and presents.
It’s like he doesn’t want me to grow as a person or something.
So what I’m trying to tell you is, if you aren’t on the Valentines Day bandwagon, you should be. It’s all about pink and love and flowers and chocolate, which are all the best things. And I knooooow that it’s a “commercial holiday” but you know what, sometimes commercials are kind of good.
(Have you ever seen the Kraft one where the kid calls the cops after his dad takes a bite of his macaroni and cheese? Hilar. Don’t even try to say it isn’t)
In a burst of Valentines Day Person inspiration, I created these Whoopie Pies the other day. The filling tastes like Cherry Garcia ice cream (meaning, AMAZING) and the pink color is perfect for LOVE.[/donotprint]
Cherry Chocolate Chunk Whoopie Pies
- 1 box dark chocolate fudge cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 sticks butter, slightly softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Jar of maraschino cherries
1. Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper OR if you’re using a Whoopie Pie Pan (I did) spray the wells with bakers spray (the kind with flour in it).
2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and water. Beat on medium until combined. Drop by Tablespoonfuls on the lined baking sheet (they spread quite a bit, so don’t make them too large) OR fill wells of Whoopie Pie Pan about 1/3 full. Bake for about 10-15 min or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack.
3. Once cookies are cool, prepare your filling: In the bowl of a mixer, combine butter and 4 Tablespoons juice from the maraschino cherries. Beat until the butter is smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium high and beat for about a minute and a half. Remove cherries from the jar and give them a rough chop. How many you use is up to you, but I add enough to equal about 1/2 cup once they’re chopped, which is most of the jar. Roughly chop your bittersweet chocolate and fold it into the filling with the cherries.
4. Place a large spoonful of filling on the flat side of one cooled cookie. Spread it just a bit, then press the flat side of another cookie on top.
Makes about 20 whoopie pies.
If the frosting is too thick for you, add another Tablespoon of cherry juice, or even a bit of milk.
For my chocolate chunks, I used Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips. The chips are large, so I gave them a rough chop to break them up a bit.
[donotprint]These Whoopie Pies are a really fun alternative to cupcakes and so easy to make…no fancy piping. Enjoy!!
Have a happy Tuesday!![/donotprint]