These 100 Grand Cupcakes have all the flavor of the candy bar. Chocolate cake, caramel filling, and krispie topping combine to make one perfect cupcake!!
100 Grand Cupcakes
I have decided that the 100 Grand candy bar is one of the most under appreciated candy bars in all of existence.
I mean, it’s basically a crunch bar with caramel inside. What’s not to love? Why isn’t it a whole big thing?
I am never one to let any kind of candy go unappreciated and unnoticed, so I thought I’d make some 100 Grand cupcakes.
We’ve got chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, chocolate krispie garnish.
…aaaaaand a caramel center. Of course.
For the caramel, I used Shelly’s caramel recipe from her Karamel Sutra Cupcakes. The only difference I made was to use about half as much cream…I wanted a very thick caramel center. Not so thick that it hardened, but thick enough that it didn’t run out when you bit into the cupcake.
You guys…it’s amazing. A thick caramel center with just a little bit of bite to it. Just like a candy bar!!
I topped these 100 Grand Cupcakes with a bark I made with melted chocolate and puffed rice cereal, because that is what I had on hand. Feel free to use chopped 100 Grand Bars or crumbled up Crunch bars (or I think they sell them in bags that are already in clusters, too). Whatever floats your boat!!
- Caramel Filling:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 sticks salted butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 TBS milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Krispie Topping:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup puffed rice cereal
- Prepare caramel filling:
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium low heat. Add sugar and corn syrup and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until it's a nice caramel color. Add cream slowly while stirring (SLOWLY -- it gets hot and spatters, so stand back and be super slow) and continue to cook and stir for a couple more minutes until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool while you prepare the cupcakes.
- Prepare Krispie Topping:
- In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate chips for about 2 minutes or until melted, stopping every 30 seconds to stir. Add cereal and stir to coat. Spread on a wax paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate until firm.
- Prepare Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with liners and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed for two minutes. Slowly stir in boiling water.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake until centers of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Let cupcakes cool completely, then cut a hole in the centers with a knife or cupcake coring tool.
- At this point, the caramel should be thickened, but still spoonable. Fill the cupcake centers to the top with caramel.
- Prepare frosting:
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, milk, and vanilla until combined and semi smooth. Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar and beat on low until just combined. Increase mixer speed to high and beat until fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes. Break up crispy bark and place pieces on top of cupcakes.
Cupcake batter adapted from Hershey
Caramel filling adapted from Cookies and Cups
If you want an impressive crowd pleaser, these 100 Grand Cupcakes are totally for you. The chocolate/caramel combo is never wrong, and the topping adds great texture. They are fabulous!!
Enjoy and have a great day!!