These Italian Cream Cake Cookies are cakey and packed full of cream cheese, pecans, and coconut.
Do you want to know what is the worst thing in the world?
When people ring your doorbell.
It’s terrifying. And loud. Like I’m honestly surprised that doorbells even exist anymore? Because they shouldn’t. They should not exist.
There are so many things wrong with just walking up and ringing someone’s doorbell unannounced. Like the fact that you’re unannounced. There’s really a whole process that should be obeyed. A social decorum, if you will. And it begins with you texting and saying, “hey, can I come over?” and then if they say yes, you go over and then you text and say, “I’m here” and then they let you in.
Isn’t that easy? Nice and peaceful for everyone involved.
I can hear your thought process right now. “But what if I don’t know their phone number? But what if I don’t know them?”
The answer is that if you do not know them or do not know their phone number, you have no business being at their house. Let alone pressing a button which is loud, scary, and disturbs the whole atmosphere. Who are you to disrupt their day with a noisy, abrupt ring?
No one. You are no one to do that, sir.
I have a neighbor that occasionally rings my bell and it scares the love right out of me. Like seriously, do people not try KNOCKING first nowadays? Going straight to the ring just seems a bit extreme. Every time I hear the bell I imagine it’s police officers waiting to tell me that someone died. So I look out the window to see if I see a police car. If I don’t, I just don’t answer.
If you can’t follow simple rules of life, I can’t open my door to you. I’m sorry, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.
Speaking of cookies.
My husband and I love Italian Cream Cake, so the other day I found myself wondering, “why aren’t Italian Cream Cake COOKIES a thing?”
So I made them be a thing. It’s a free country.
They are so good — cakey and full of pecans and coconut and topped with a coconut pecan cream cheese glaze.
- 8 oz cream cheese, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, slightly softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in cake mix and powdered sugar until dough forms, then add coconut and pecans and beat on low until blended.
- Scoop cookies using a medium cookie scoop and place on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for roughly 10 minutes until edges are golden brown. Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes before moving to wire rack.
- Cream Cheese Glaze: In the bowl of your mixer, beat cream cheese, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat on medium until a smooth glaze forms. In your blender or food processor, pulse coconut and pecans together a few times. Add to the glaze and mix until smooth.
- Spread glaze on cookies.